Answered

How to update a response answer?

• 22 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Data seems to have disappeared from responses to a survey we are currently running. The first 49 responses to the survey are now missing the answer to question one. Luckily I have a record of these responses so want to go into the individual record and update the answer to that question, so it is no longer blank but I can’t figure out how to do this. Does anyone know how?

icon

Best answer by Liz 29 March 2022, 16:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @imagesevenkatie Welcome to the community! Did you make any changes or edits to the form after the form was already collecting responses? If so, this will delete previous answers. You can read more about this here

Hi Liz, 

Yes we changed a question from a radio button to a multiple choice answer. I have the responses from the existing records with the now blank answer I just need to be able to update the specific question against the records. Any ideas how?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, that would do it, @imagesevenkatie . I’m afraid this removes the data and there isn’t a way to retrieve it back. To prevent this, the builder shows a pop up warning that the changes will affect the data. 

For any future changes, you’ll want to reference this article here, which will walk you through how to make changes to a form that’s already collecting responses. 

Hi Liz, 

I don’t need to retrieve the data I know what is missing. I need to know how to update an existing record. Is this something that Typeform isn’t capable of doing? It seems like this should be pretty basic functionality to be able to edit a records response. 

Thanks Katie

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @imagesevenkatie If you’re referencing updating a response that a respondent already submitted, this isn’t possible. Though, I have seen other customers connect their form to Google Sheets and then update the response there. 

If you’d like to update an existing question, this article here has suggestions on how to do this once you’ve already collected responses.