Question

Missing data in linked forms

Badge +1

I have two connected forms in my typeform account. The first question is a ranking question, which is displayed/embedded in an email. After clicking, they go to the typeform ranking question and after answering that question, they skip to the next form. I have added the score from the ranking question, the emailaddress and the name of the person as hidden values.

Now some of the data I have in my second form does not show up in my first form. So people seem to be answering the second question only and the data from the ranking question is missing in the first form.

How is this possible? Any suggestions?

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Are you passing the values of the replies in the redirect link, so that it can populates the hidden fields in the second form?

Badge +1

Yes, I do get the info passed on in the second form, however the entries are not present in the first form for some of the responses.

Badge +1

So for example I would get Respondent A in form 2 and not in form 1. Sometimes all info is present in both forms and sometimes it is not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Maureenb Are the questions in the first form marked as required? 

Badge +1

Yes, they are now. In the first stage it was not. Although it was impossible to skip as you could only reach the question through the email. Now the problem occurs less frequently, but still I have some responses where I have a response in part 2 and the response in part 1 is missing...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm. How are the respondents accessing the form, @Maureenb ?

Badge +1

I have embedded the first question in an email. When they click on a number in the rating question, typeform opens and shows the first question (again). After they click “ok” they go to the second question.

Badge +1

I just discovered that the missing data occurs in the reminders I sent out. I am guessing, but could it be that something goes wrong with their earlier responses? Perhaps they have entered the first survey before, but did not finish. Now they enter again and skip directly to the second question….however, the first answer is not stored correctly, or at least not passed on correctly…. Perhaps the response label or variable is named differently after it is stored? ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, got it, @Maureenb ! Are you passing the data from your email service provider into the forms, similar to this? If not, you’ll want to set this up to be sure that data passes into the forms. 

Badge +1

Yes we do. And I think there is a problem with the hidden fields when people quit and return… My hypothesis is that when they return, the info that was passed on in the earlier session is not stored. We do pass the info (emailaddress and first question score) in the second/reminder session as well, but I think that Typeform recognises the respondent and then skips to the question where they quit before and then the info is not stored correctly. Does this sound logical?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Maureenb It would depend how they access your form the second time. If they’re clicking the link in the email, those fields should still be passed. Do you mind sending a screenshot of how you’re passing the information in the email? 

Badge +1

This is the code behind the embedded question. This code displays the answer: “1-star”.

The reminder email shows the same link. I think the problem is that in my typeform the name of the hidden field = “score’ and

Link from email to Typeform nr 1:

<td style="height:50px;text-align:center;vertical-align:middle;font-family:system-ui,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,&quot;" width="1"><a style="text-decoration:none;font-size:25px" href="https://ln9gmya147j.typeform.com/to/co7V9Jwy?typeform-medium=embed-email#email=%EMAIL%&name=%LASTNAME%&answers-01GQS4DCZS5K6EVVA0PF2XVXY9=1" class="esd-frame-element esd-hover-element esdev-disable-select">⭐</a></td>

Link from typeform nr 1 to typeform nr 2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Maureenb Thank you for sending this! Is the score equal to a question on the form? Or what is it recalling? 

Badge +1

Yes, the score is supposed to match the answer from the first question in the first form.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Maureenb Thank you! I might be a bit confused here, but are you having issues with the score passing through to the second form? 

Badge +1

Yes, that is the problem. I do get responses in the second form, but for some of them I do not have a “score” from the first part of the form.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Maureenb do you mind if I test the URL from the first form? This would take a response from your account, but it would give me a better idea of what’s happening. 

Or, our support team can log into your account and take a further look if you contact them via email here. This could help reduce losing a response on my test. 

Badge +1

You are welcom to try this. one response more or less is not a problem as long as we can find a solution in the longer term. If you cannot find anything, I will contact support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Maureenb ! I just gave this a try, and I’m seeing the score pass through in the second link: 

https://ln9gmya147j.typeform.com/to/ClcLWJT4?typeform-source=ln9gmya147j.typeform.com#email=_____&name=hithere&score=5

I just submitted the second form. Did the score arrive in the responses there?