Answered

Multiselect separated by coma on the Excel integration

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello!

I have this problem, I have several multi-select questions in one of my surveys and I have Excel integrated, so I can start receiving the data.

The problem is the multi select data is all packed in the same cell, just separated by comas. If I want to start to create my formulas and some charts I would need to get rid of the comas and I will touch the raw data. Something I don’t want to do.

Is there any way to have this fixed so the multi-select data appears by columns and not all in one cell?

Current example:

Which fruits do you usually consume?
Apple, Orange, Strawberry, Melon
Orange, Melon

What I would like to have:

Which fruits do you usually consume?      
Apple Orange Melon Strawberry
1 1 1 1
0 1 1 0

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 7 June 2022, 21:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mr. Lorey Happy Tuesday! This isn’t possible in our native integration, but you could give this a try using another service such as Zapier or Make. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mr. Lorey - if you Connect your typeform data into Excel, you will get the comma-separated string in a cell. 

my suggestion is to create a second tab in the spreadsheet (call it reporting for example) and then pull the data from the first tab use the array formula capability (as each new row is added to the primary tab, the reporting tab will pull it across) 

once that part is done, you can parse the data from the string into individual columns - like you have described above. see this article on several ways to do just that

once the string text has been parsed into appropriate columns you are free to other manipulations 

just a thought

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks a lot @john.desborough!

I am doing it as you suggested. It is still time consuming but at least I can move forward. I hope Typeform will fix this sooner rather than later.

Best regards,

Mr. Lorey

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how it goes for you, @Mr. Lorey !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mr. Lorey! How are you? Why don't you send your form to us once you're done with it so we can give you some feedback? Looking forward to checking what you're creating with Typeform! 😊