Answered

Responses for those who don't complete form

Question - I used Typeform to create a survey.  My summary report shows 36 responses.  Are these 36 responses from people who completed the entire survey?  What happens to the data of those that don’t finish the complete survey?  Where does that go?  None of the questions were required.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by vickioneill 15 March 2021, 12:09

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the same question, can anyone help us on that?

Lidia

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tedvickey ,

Yes, the 36 responses are those who completed the survey. If you go to the ‘Results’ tab/link at the top of your Typeform survey, you’ll see the stats on who’s seen it (# views) the the dropoff by question.

Does that help?

Vicki

Vicki how can you incorporate the results even of responses that did not complete the survey?

Hi @tedvickey ,

Yes, the 36 responses are those who completed the survey. If you go to the ‘Results’ tab/link at the top of your Typeform survey, you’ll see the stats on who’s seen it (# views) the the dropoff by question.

Does that help?

Vicki

Vicki - not really.

The survey was designed to allow people to skip questions.  If Typeform is only showing the data from everyone that completed all of the questions, then those that skipped a question aren’t being shown and there is a lot of data that is now missing.

I’m having the same problem.  

I created a survey that allowed the last page (Comment page) to be skipped, but Typeform is not including anyone who closed the tab on this page. Because of this, I can not access their responses to the other questions.  Is there not an option to see the full surveys of those who dropped off before completing it?  I understand that it is common practice to set any surveys aside that are not completed, but I still need them to analyze and turn in for reporting purposes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The results will show responses of anyone who completed the survey including the skipped responses. The ‘Results’ tab is a compilation of all answers however it’s just a high level overview. For example, looking at these quiz results, question 4 looks misleading (like it was skipped) however this was part of a logic jump. Without knowing that, the numbers look inaccurate or skewed. The number of responses, 9, is accurate to the number of completed “submits” that were generated. 

I understand what you’re saying and after looking at my last two questions/pages, mine also could have been misinterpreted and I should have been clearer for the actual survey submission. Lesson learned.  Even so, according to the “Insights/Big Picture”, I had 37 views, 26 starts,  and 18 “responses”.  However, when you scroll to see who left and at which question they did so, I actually had 23 people fully complete the survey...except for only the last question (Technically optional).  When they closed out the survey on that last question without hitting “OK”, the system did not count then as having responded to the full survey.  When I go to the individual responses to see if I can retrieve the data from all 23 surveys that were completed otherwise, it only gives me the data of the 18 who hit that final button. It seems to have dumped the other 5 surveys all together.  I did not make that last question a required response, but in doing so, it seems to have categorized anyone not completing it as invalid.  Does that make sense? 

I have checked every tab I can find to see if the data is somewhere else, but just categorized differently, but I can not find it anywhere.  Those responses seem to be dumped completely.  Even if the survey was not fully completed, I would still need the full survey data from the incomplete surveys for reporting purposes. I would do the same with paper surveys, but just set them aside. Is there a way to retrieve at least the 5 completed surveys that are not included in the summary or responses portion of Typeform’s analytics? 

Thanks!

-Erica

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

one of the things that i had to keep in mind when i was starting to build online surveys, not only in Typeform but other platforms as well, is that the BROWSERS on someone’s computer are NOT connected to the application at all times - > the world of the internet is such that content/pages are loaded onto our browsers and we interact with the information but at some point, the application we are using does require us to SUBMIT the data somehow/some way to be able to be recorded in the back end of the system. 

as a third party in the process, between the user and the application platform (Typeform), I have had to think through the questions i want to ask, how to organize them, how to present and record the data in the best way possible - given the limitations of the browser/server architectures - and try and make some decisions on how best to present the questions to the user. 

right now, i have an assessment with 7 question groups with a total of 37 questions that I am asking people to complete: yes some drop off, yes some misinterpret what i intended on questions/instructions. BUT it has forced me to look at how I am interacting with the client/user: I am in the process of breaking my ‘long’ survey into an 8 (eight) interconnected typeforms series so that i can get the submission of the data at the end of each question group. At least i am getting that much submitted at one time. and using hidden fields and redirect to pass them from form to form. this will help me reduce the amount of data i miss

I will use Google Sheets at the back end to relate the independent typeform responses via a unique identifier, so that i can daisy-chain the responses from a single user through the forms and across the google sheets/tabs. That’s on me to do 

This isn’t paper any more and we have to remember that when we design surveys/assessments - we cannot think in the same fashion as they taught in marketing 101 (in my case back in 1981). 

my humble recommendation, is to create your survey and grab a bunch of people to test it for you and see their reactions and get their feedback - i use about 20 friends at various points and have delivered more coffee and donuts in a socially distant fashion than are good for all of us lol.. but that has helped me think about how to make the tool work best for me. Hopefully it can work for you as well. 

</soapbox>

des

Thank you, John, for the ideas and insight.

I think you’re right.  With the various platforms to fill these out on, I hadn’t thought about how it would interface for people.  Add that to everyone’s personal perspectives, and there are bound to be some lessons learned and a need for some creative data sourcing applied as I move forward. 

I am still new to this and thankfully this is for a class, so it is not critical overall.  After discussing it with my professor, she just let me know the whole point was for it to be a learning experience and to just include this as part of my analysis.  

I am curious to see a survey in the format you describe where it is presented in groups and then linked.  I think that is a really neat idea.  You make the data collection and compilation sound easy, but I it’s got to be time consuming!  

Some of the things I’ve realized through this process, is that I need to take a lot more surveys myself to get a feel for what does and does not work, I need to test the survey on lots of family and friends (great idea on delivering coffee and donuts), and I need to really think through the tone of my questions and how it may be perceived. After looking at my last slide, it really reads like, “ok, that’s it. you’re done” and doesn’t make clear that it still needs to be submitted.

Thanks again for the perspective and advise.  This is going to require a learning curve and it is nice to have this type of platform to use to network and get advise on.

-Erica

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is all great to read about, @esayers ! Our outcomes team also hosts webinars that may be helpful to help with figuring out how to word questions to receive more answers and make the form itself feel conversational, too! Those webinars can be found here. :) 

https://community.typeform.com/events

And @john.desborough  can you ship me donuts too? :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is all great to read about, @esayers ! Our outcomes team also hosts webinars that may be helpful to help with figuring out how to word questions to receive more answers and make the form itself feel conversational, too! Those webinars can be found here. :) 

https://community.typeform.com/events

And @john.desborough  can you ship me donuts too? :grinning:

@Liz yes ma’am!

des