Answered

Time to complete for each respondent

Hello community! I know that there is a data about the average time to complete the form, but I need to know the time each person took to complete it, separately, not the average. It it possible? If yes, how?

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by vickioneill 8 April 2021, 21:48

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alisa ,

Yes! You can see the response time by person by downloading the responses. I downloaded to Excel and you see the Start Date and Submit Date (which includes times). You would need to add a column to show the actual time (Submit - Start) to get the response time. 

In this case it’s 13:53:34 - 13:51:11 = 2:23. So it took this person 2 minutes and 23 seconds to complete the form. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @vickioneill !

Can you get the START DATE when you connect to Google Sheets (not download, the live connection)?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Diego - from another user here.. 

the only thing i have been able to see in Google Sheets connection data push is the submit time. not the start or completion time

des

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough - True! But in order to calculate the response time by user I need both...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough - True! But in order to calculate the response time by user I need both...

then, at the moment, it looks like you will need to download the response data from the dashboard and, if necessary, port it into a Google sheet/tab to be able to link to your survey data. 

hopefully, since it is something that is recorded into the results inside Typeform, that we can request it be put on the product drawing board to have it incorporated into the Connect capability. 

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough - Yes, it’s impossible right now to calculate that time live. The odd thing is that you can have that number in a download but not in a direct connection…

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @Mariana - can we have this added to the product enhancement list please, if it is not already there?? 

ie the ability to obtain the start date/time, as well as the submit data/time as @vickioneill has mentioned above, that is available in the results section of the typeform

thanks

des

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Has this issue been resolved and we can see the respone time per each individual in google sheets/airtable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ValdemarQ - what i had to do for a client is split form into two separate sections/typeforms and push the data from both to a google sheet. I could then capture the timestamp of the submissions, and subtract the first from the second to get the duration. Works for my client this way

des

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@john.desborough how is that, one where he submit forms and is counted as start time, and second submition is counted as a end time? Well that is a solution but a clean one, especially when typeform saves the values star and end, strangly why arent they passed to google sheets :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ValdemarQ - what i do is have the user put in name and email in the first form and redirect on submission is set (the submit button text has been changed to “start the quiz now”

i connect that quiz to a google sheet. when the response is submitted i have the ‘time they started the quiz’ that is to be measured. 

the second form is connected to the same google sheet but sends data to a different tab. 

both have timestamps

i create a third tab for reporting and use the email address as the lookup value to pull data from both of the other tabs into the reporting tab… then i take the timestamp of the quiz submission and subtract the time of email/name submission form to get the duration. It is not Olympic timing accurate but is close enough for the needs of the client. 

the start time of loading a form is often irrelevant and impossible to accurately capture - ie i can load the quiz to my desktop, go get a coffee or a bio break, then start doing the responses. what is the appropriate start time?

I am currently working on a version of the client quiz that has 5 timed components in the entire quiz and we have 6 forms in the sequence.. it works

des

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I wonder is it possible to get this via API? Do API call to get start and submit time for a record? Then it could be solved?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Right, if someone is still looking, how we are handling currently this issue.

We have created Hidden field start_time
and once users click on the link top open typeform, we simply add it to url

'start_time='+new Date().toISOString();

Though, given Typeform does store in Typeform logs start and end times, it should definitely export the start time, so users have less trouble. I believe this is probably due to this feature is available to premium users only, but if you have a premium plan, why is it not exporting start times? 

I would like to understand as how to check the time taken to complete the quiz by individual users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @monalisharma happy Monday! I’ve moved your post here where we have an existing conversation about this. 😀

Badge

Any news on the export of Start Date to Google Sheets? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ReneNL I don’t believe there are any updates to this feature, but I will check with the product team and get back to you 😊