Answered

Tracking the URL from which the completion was derived in Shopify

• 9 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I want to add a feature to my Shopify store that will allow visitors to “Make an Offer” on certain used items. Is it possible to see the URL from which the completion came from?

For example:

User visits mysite.com/product/some-used-item and clicks the button labeled “Make an offer

I want to be able to see the product they are trying to make an offer on based on the URL. Is this possible? If so, how can I do it? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Liz 9 March 2021, 23:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Spicer's Music this is a fantastic question that I’m not totally sure on, but am happy to test! Is your shopify site connected to Google Analytics by chance? I’m thinking the setup would be similar to this: 

Thanks so much for your reply @Liz! So from what I am understanding (correct me if I am wrong), there is not a native way to see the specific URL source? My site is connected to Google Analytics, but I’m not sure that will show me the specific URL that the completion came from. In addition, something like an offer on an item is somewhat time sensitive, so I wouldn’t want to wait around for GA to update before I can see what the visitor is interested in.

Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but activating UTM Tracking will only allow me to see a general source such as “Website”, correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Spicer's Music a VERY delayed response (I’m so sorry!), but you are right - there is no native way to see the source. You would need to use the solution above to track down the source. You could also use hidden fields to pass information into the URL of the form to narrow this down, too.