Question

Viewing data of open multiple-choice questions

• 16 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey everyone, 

Have you ever found yourself wanting to know what percentage of the same answer is chosen in an open multiple-choice question? 

Suppose the question is: 
What are your hobbies? 

You can then give an open-ended answer to this. Many different hobbies are then answered. But I would like to know how you can quickly see how often the same hobby is chosen. For example, walking is chosen 10 times, cycling 3x, etc. But in typeform you can't see this automatically, does anyone know how I can see this or how I can set a certain column when downloading via excell? 

Thanks in advance for all your time and help! 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@davy - this many not be a perfect solution, but a ‘word cloud’ will look at the frequency of terms and create the cloud… some config required with the various add ins that are available - here’s a blog post that talks about one tool 

cheers

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @davy, You have a couple of options: 

The quickest imo would be to use ChatGPT & Code interpreter. What works best here is to first prompt chatGPT to find all the unique hobbies in your list, providing all your responses as context. Then ask it to tag all responses according to the list it generated (this ensures that responses with multiple hobbies still get counted) and finally use code interpreter to create a chart showing the distribution of tags. 

If this is a use case that you come across more often, you can also implement this yourself using Python and Langchain. This will require some coding skills, but it's not super complex and allows you to implement some safeguards to make sure your results are accurate. 

Finally, I’m working on a tool that helps you analyze tabular text data. We’re still learning a lot about new use cases, so i’m happy to jump on a call and set this up for you!

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @davy Hope you’re doing well! Were you able to utilize any of the solutions above?