Answered

Adding a hidden Participant ID

• 4 September 2021
  • 6 replies

I’m using typeform for event registration and have a Mailchimp integration set up.

I need respondents to have a Participant ID in Mailchimp. For previous events I’ve generated a bunch of UUIDs and then manually imported them into Mailchimp, but I am looking for a way to do this automatically. A UUID is preferred, but any random ID would be fine.

Any ideas? I tried to see if I could automatically assign a UUID to a variable or hidden field so I can pass that variable to Mailchimp, but the only calculations I can find are based on responses.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 6 September 2021, 03:41

View original

6 replies

Hi @sshireman! Welcome to the community from a fellow user.

I’m not sure this would solve your problem, but I just happened to come across an answer given by @Liz in a similar question and maybe it can help.:slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@sshireman @Paulo 

apart from what Paulo mentioned, you could create something like this little form inside your typeform to generate a somewhat random number (you ask for a seed number and then you create a series of logic rules that do all sorts of weird calculations in the logic rules area to create a somewhat random number. (if the same seed number is used a second or multiple times, the result is unfortunately duplicated ie in the example if you enter 12345 and then repeat the form a second time with the same seed number you get the same result)

It’s not possible to pre-load a set of UUID/random numbers into a typeform and then pull the next one off the list. 

what might be possible is using Zapier or Integromat (or similar) to run a process that listens to the typeform submit, calls a spreadsheet (google or excel) to generate a random number using the function inside the spreddie, and then passes that along with the field data to the mailchimp record. 

if you are sending out the requests to take the typeform from Mailchimp and already have the UUID attached to the record, i think you can add that fieldname/value pair to the URL as a hidden field and have the typeform listening for the hidden variables coming in .. and then passing it back on the submit to ensure that you are matching up responses.. if the form generates a net new contact in mailchimp, then the previous paragraph would apply.. 

sorry if this is sounding like rambling but it is Sunday of a bank holiday weekend and i am 3 hours separated from a coffee and running on fumes thereof lol

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you @Paulo and @john.desborough for the help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @sshireman Did either of the solutions above work for you? :grin:

Thanks, all! I was able to use the Response ID from the question @Paulo referenced. I didn’t realize that was one of the fields available in Zapier. It’s working nicely and I’m glad to have one less thing to import manually into Mailchimp :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yay!! Glad to hear that worked, @sshireman !