Answered

Appending Data Based On Answer of Question

• 14 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I am LOVING typeform but I am absolutely stuck and it seems like there must be a solution. I feel like I am not searching with the right words.

I am building a form that will use the data to generate a “certificate of completion”.

Imagine you have a list of 150 courses. The filler enters their details and then selects the course they completed. The the data is passed on to generate the document (zapier and plumsail). I got to this point and everything was working great, HOWEVER, I need to include the course description and course duration on this certificate. I would rather not make 150 pdfs. I feel like there must be an easier way to append this data that is missing. Granted if there were only a few courses this would not be an issue but it doesn’t make sense to manually do anything 150 times (and counting). 

If it is not possible to do it in Typeform are there any recommended integrations?

Common other uses would be appending city and state based on zip code, appending price, shipping times, and dimensions, based on product selection. the list goes on...

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 14 April 2022, 14:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Zoezozo - sounds like fun.. 

the easy way to pass the description and duration would be to set those into variables in the logic rules at the end - yes it means a bunch of logic rules but once done, works a treat. 

• if course completed = A then replace variable_description with “this was the typeform intro logic rules development course”
  • if course completed = A then replace variable_duration with “25 hours”
  • repeat for all courses

on submission the variables are available to be passed into the certificate as part of typeform data

alternatively, connect the form to google sheet and use a google slide and Document Studio (an add-on) to merge all the data into the output template and send it in email. In the google sheet you have a tab for the course descriptions and duration and you pull those into your output report data based on a vlookup. 

just my thoughts

des

Thank you Des! I think those two great solutions. If the list is short the variable route sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Alternatively if the number of variables you need to append is too long, google sheets to seems very manageable. 

I tried the later route using Excel online instead (my company uses Microsoft's tech stack) and XLOOKUP function and it wasn't working right off the bat, but decided to ask the community before spending time trouble shooting!  I'll see how it goes, but glad to have another option with google sheets.

Thanks again for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear @john.desborough ‘s solutions helped, @Zoezozo ! Let us know how it goes for you!