Answered

Birthdate set up

• 11 February 2021
  • 12 replies

I am trying to add a simple birthday question. I have published my survey, but the birth date is making the customers scroll back from 2021. Example. If you birthday is 1976, you have to scroll to 1976 from 2021...taking forever. Is there a quicker way to get there..or can the customer just type the answer. 

icon

Best answer by Liz 1 November 2021, 08:25

View original

12 replies

I am trying to add a simple birthday question. I have published my survey, but the birth date is making the customers scroll back from 2021. Example. If you birthday is 1976, you have to scroll to 1976 from 2021...taking forever. Is there a quicker way to get there..or can the customer just type the answer. 

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @ErinMcDermott. Welcome to our Community! 🤩

The respondents can simply type the answer like I'm doing here. Can you do the same when you're filling out your Typeform? Hopefully, this will be easier than scrolling back! =)

@Mariana on mobile this process is arduous, unless you know the UI tricks. On Android and iOS it default pulls up a calendar picker that does not easily allow you to change year. It is proving to be a major drop off point for me.

@ctheath - We’re in the same position. Have a birthdate field and on mobile can only access the calendar - then click back monthly. That means if someone is 50 years old, they have to click over 600 times to reach their month/date of birth, which is not feasible and an obvious cause of drop off.  

Who monitors this space for prod dev improvements needed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @GuardianAngel We share feedback to the product team. :grinning: One thing to note is that the calendar-view is controlled by the mobile device’s browser and operating system, so we don’t have much control over how the mobile device displays the date field. 

Hi @GuardianAngel We share feedback to the product team. :grinning: One thing to note is that the calendar-view is controlled by the mobile device’s browser and operating system, so we don’t have much control over how the mobile device displays the date field. 

You should provide an option to make it a number field so we can just type in the date in number format, free-form style, without the use of a calendar on mobile. I would much rather type in, for example, 11222002 and have the field format accordingly than to use a cumbersome calendar on mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @aestevez Thanks for stopping by! That’s a great idea. You could also use the number question for the time being if you prefer this format. :grinning:

Hi @aestevez Thanks for stopping by! That’s a great idea. You could also use the number question for the time being if you prefer this format. :grinning:

I would but then I would open myself up to false entries, as such a form wouldn’t know that months end at 12, days end at 31, etc. I also don’t see the option to limit the number of digits without entering a min/max. Lastly, it doesn’t add slashes or dashes in between each entry like the Date option does.

But thanks for the suggestion.

I have to second @aestevez ‘s response here. We got this feedback from a survey respondent. 

> ... it's very hard to enter your birth date on the form as it only provides a monthly calendar and you have to scroll back to the appropriate year -- so for someone my age I had to hit the back arrow almost 800 times.

On desktop the experience is great. But showing the calendar on mobile feels like a big UX mistake. The calendar is handy for certain types of dates, but for a birth date, typing each value in the same way we do in the desktop would be preferred. 

Entering this was so painful that we opted by just asking for the year instead of the full DOB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mamadero Thanks for sending this feedback! The calendar view that appears on mobile is controlled by the browser, not us, so I’m afraid we don’t have any control over how the date field appears. 

Entering this was so painful that we opted by just asking for the year instead of the full DOB 

You used the short text then or? I would like a number version where I could add min and max numbers, in my case 4 so a user could add birth year: 1973, 2012 etc but not 73 or 12 and not 12345. This should open the number keyboard on mobile.