Answered

Block going backwards in the form

• 2 February 2021
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear typeform community,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m posting because I have a small problem. I am currently drafting a quiz for some of my employees on typeform. After each question, they get a small correction, explaining which answer was the right one and why.

Problem is, with typeform, you can always go back in the form/ quiz, such as my employees will be able to answer the question, then see the correction and eventually go back to correct their answers. Obviously, this makes the test useless.

Do you know if/how it would be possible to block this go-back / go-before function to avoid this problem ?

I warmly thank you in advance for your kind answers.

Brousse

icon

Best answer by Mariana 2 February 2021, 14:26

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear typeform community,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m posting because I have a small problem. I am currently drafting a quiz for some of my employees on typeform. After each question, they get a small correction, explaining which answer was the right one and why.

Problem is, with typeform, you can always go back in the form/ quiz, such as my employees will be able to answer the question, then see the correction and eventually go back to correct their answers. Obviously, this makes the test useless.

Do you know if/how it would be possible to block this go-back / go-before function to avoid this problem ?

I warmly thank you in advance for your kind answers.

Brousse

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Brousse. Welcome to our Community! 🚀

Thanks for sharing your use case - I hear you. Although you cannot block the go-back function to avoid having respondents jumping back to previous questions, you can choose to hide the navigation arrows. Check here how it would look like. To do that, go to the Settings menu and toggle the Navigation arrows

This would make the option to go back less intuitive. However, respondents still have the option to jump back to the previous question by holding down shift+tab or scrolling with a mouse. 

I hope it helps, Brousse! Let us know how it goes. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Mariana,

Thanks a lot for your kind answer. I’m going to hide the arrows, and i’ll see how it goes.

Have a nice day in Barcelona, cheers from Paris

Brousse

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sounds good, Brousse! Hopefully, this will prevent most of the respondents from jumping back.

Have an amazing day in Paris! Enjoy the macarons. They are the best! 😋 

Kind regards and greetings from Barcelona.  

Mariana, I don’t seem to have the hide navigation option because I am in the classic mode. How does one switch to new typeform?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @communitycatsto we have instructions below on grabbing access to the new builder! :) 

Is it possible to change settings that an answer only is locked by klicking “OK” Button after chosing the answer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @PDV I added your post here where we have the answer. :grinning: It isn’t possible to lock in an answer or prevent going backwards in the form, but if there’s anything else I can answer for you, please let me know!

I want answers that are submitted by people to be locked in to place. How do I disable the option for people to go back (whilts completing multiple questions) and edit answers before the final submission?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yasir Malik. Welcome to the Typeform Community :hugging:

I moved your question here where the answer is. Let us know if you have any further questions =)

I like to know, why it has to be so, that you can go back and forward?

Some, who tested my survey, went accidentally back, when they used mobile device. And they did not know, what was happened. It is very cracy.

My survey needed to be like, that can not go back and change answers. 

That you hide  the Navigation arrows, does not help at all.

That is not only thing, what does not work properly.

Other is example that ok-button: you do not need to press it, when you answer questions, which you have to select only one answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Iina thanks for stopping by! I’ve answered your question in the thread you created. :grinning:

Crying :sob: ...Do you plan to include this feature in the future?

Hello Everyone, 

I’m making a survey for my company but I have a small issue, the people completing this survey can come back to the question and change their answer. Is it possible to prevent this ? 

Thank you very much in advance, 

Best

Héloïse

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Marketing LeHibou! Welcome to the Typeform Community! 

I've moved your question to this topic where you can the answer to your answer. I hope the suggested workaround helps you.

Have a nice day! 😊

Thank you ! You are the best 

So the outright ability to block people from going backwards and changing answers still isn’t possible? It appears as of 09/26/2022 that’s the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lifestyle180 This isn’t a feature we have on our roadmap, but happy to share your feedback with the product team. 

Hi - Liz. The ability to go back is a big issue for us after a bunch of customer complaints. Without it, we can’t really use it as our in-app quiz solution 😥. We had big plans for Typeform and hope that you take the feedback on this. I think it would take one of your devs 4 hours to code a ‘no go back’ option. 

Thanks! We love your product

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the feedback, @SRteam ! I’ll share it with the product team. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Please add this feature - your competitors have it!

Hi! Just adding to the points above, and hopefully to give more gravitas to the requested feature. 

Having this as a feature would be really beneficial to give us accurate data when reporting on results from the survey.

Thanks

Adding my name to the list of people who want this feature. Feels like table stakes. Ideally I’d be able to lock certain questions and not others.

Hi - I would like to disable users from being able to scroll between questions on my form.  Rather I would like them to be able to use the browser back and forward buttons.

This seems pretty basic for how forms work on the web.  It’s a very unintuitive experience for the user to scroll, especially when the form is embedded in a web page.

All the articles I see about this are 2 years old and say you have to set up custom logic jumps which seems like a crazy complicated solution to something so basic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jwgordon93 Happy Friday! I moved your post here where we have a workaround for this since it isn’t a feature we currently provide.