Breaking Up Long Typeforms

• 21 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Has anyone experimented with hacking long typeforms by hacking them apart? 

I have a longform Typeform (easily 20+ blocks shown, depending on the path taken) that unfortunately can’t possibly be collapsed further because the answers are feeding into a document generator, and the document would be incomplete / pointless without them all. 

Knowing (1) longer typeforms have higher dropoff rates, particularly as you move incrementally in the first 1-10 blocks and (2) Typeform passes the business / client submitted responses only, I’m thinking about breaking up the one Typeform into two.

The first Typeform would have maybe 1-2 questions (name, email address). Completion of the first Typeform would automatically redirect to the second Typeform with the rest of the question blocks with data from the first Typeform passed via the URL [Note: I know that passing data via URL is possible in the strict sense, but I still need to investigate whether that can be done directly within Typeform vs. through an ESP or other application]. This way, if I have dropoff after 5, 6, 7+ questions, I at least have the name + email address to market to try to get them to come back. 

*** The whole point of doing this is b/c, as far as I know, there is now way to get at customer entry data in Typeform that hasn’t been fully submitted (i.e., partial completes). If I’m wrong in that assertion, let me know! 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jic_luke Welcome to the community! I think how you’re currently planning to split it up makes sense. I’ve definitely worked with splitting up many forms, but not any that are tied into a specific document. 

@john.desborough @Paulo do either of you have experience with this? :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @jic_luke  - breaking the typeform into component parts is easy to do and combining the data from the various forms into a single report back to the user is simple:

• connect your first typeform to google sheets and make sure that you are capturing something you can use as the unique identifier to relate data across form… ie email address or assign a userid (coming in as a hidden variable??)
  • pass the unique identifier to the second form (and the third etc… as necessary) and connect the second (and other forms) to the SAME google sheet - it will enter the data on a separate tab for each additional typeform.. 
  • create a reporting tab at the end of the google sheet to pull the data into this tab based on the unique id (eg email address) so that you have a single composite record for each user. 
  • then you can push your data into your merge template and out into email. 

bob’s yer uncle!!

or at least that’s how i would do it.. 

des

Badge

Thanks, Des! That sounds like a good approach! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how that works for you, @jic_luke !

Hey @john.desborough , would you be able to elaborate a little more on how to pass that unique identifier from that first form to the rest (step 2 in your explanation). Essentially, I want to collect the email address on the first form, and be able to connect their responses from the rest of the following forms without having to ask for their email address each time. I get that it is something to do with the hidden field function, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to go about it. Any help is appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@scottiegv - the unique identifier in this case would be the email address. (some folks want user first and last name to be used as the unique identifiers, another client wanted to use employee id as the unique pieces - so there are options depending on the context of your form)

let’s start at the back end ie the target form:

• in the target form, create the hidden field called email
    • we’ll assume that is the only hidden variable required for this example
  • publish the form and copy the link to the form - we’ll need it in the source form
  • in the source form, the one where you collect the email address
    • set up the ending to a redirect and paste in the link to the target form
    • it will show up as the form url with this at the end: #email=xxxxxx
    • delete the xxxxx string and replace it with the ‘answer’ from the email question (click the + sign and choose the question from the list of items available) 

now we do the Google sheets part: 

• in the source form, make sure you publish the form and then  Connect this form to Google Sheets 
    • go through the integration steps in the Typeform instructions and then when you come back to the Connect page, “go to your spreadsheet” … click the link to the form
    • you want to copy the url of the google sheet cuz you will need it in a second
  • now go to the target form 
    • Connect this form to google sheets
    • instead of creating a new sheet, connect this one to an Existing form
    • it will ask you for the URL of the google sheet - paste in the one that just copied above
    •  

go to the google sheet and you will see there are two tabs in the sheet - both forms are pushing data to the same sheet. just on different tabs

create a third tab and then you can use Sheets functions to pull the data from the source sheet in and then create formulae to do vlookup on the email address and pull in data from the target form - so that you have a consolidated record. 

that last bit is a much longer topic but having the email address in both allows you to do that vlookup and find the data you want to consolidate from 2-n forms into a single reporting tab. 

cheers

des

Thanks @john.desborough , that makes sense! Going from the first form with the email to the next form seems clear. My follow up question would be, how to go from a 2nd form to a 3rd, 3rd to the 4th, 4th to the 5th and keep them connected. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@scottiegv - once you pass the email as a hidden field from form 1 to form 2, you can simply keep ensuring that the #email=hidden variable is at the end of the url that you use to keep the redirection going.. 

the hidden variables you will need to create in each of the subsequent forms so that there is a ‘bucket’ into which the value can be stored. and that is available to append to the url to the next form the same as the answer was in the first one.. 

make sense??

des