Answered

Can logic jumps direct respondents to multiple next questions based on a multiple selection, multiple choice type questions?

• 28 January 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The use case is for collecting social media handles.

1. A multiple choice (multiple selection) question asks what social media they use (eg. Twitter, Facebook, Insta, Linkedin).
  2. The user selects Facebook and Insta.
  3. I’d like a logic jump that goes first to a question asking them for their Facebook URL, and then to a question asking for their Insta profile, but skipping the other two that weren’t selected.

Is this possible? Thanks!

Matt

icon

Best answer by Liz 28 January 2021, 21:42

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MCSims ! Thanks for joining the community. :) 

Yes, they can! You’ll want to set up logic jumps to branch, meaning they’ll direct the respondent to the corresponding questions based on their answers in the initial questions. 

If you’re using the classic builder, you can find the steps here and the steps for the new builder here

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you Liz!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@MCSims Welcome! If you have any troubles setting it up, feel free to post a screenshot of what you’ve got so far and we can take a look. Hopefully it shouldn’t be too challenging! 

Userlevel 1

The use case is for collecting social media handles.

1. A multiple choice (multiple selection) question asks what social media they use (eg. Twitter, Facebook, Insta, Linkedin).
  2. The user selects Facebook and Insta.
  3. I’d like a logic jump that goes first to a question asking them for their Facebook URL, and then to a question asking for their Insta profile, but skipping the other two that weren’t selected.

Is this possible? Thanks!

Matt

Yes, I need the same solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @thedesigner ! :) Good to see you here!

If you’re using the classic builder, you can find the steps here for setting this up and the steps for the new builder here. Let me know if you run into any troubles with either!

Userlevel 1

Hi, Liz! 

I didn’t see your answer when I was responding to the topic. Sorry, and thank you I figured it out :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@thedesigner No worries at all! Glad you got it figured out. :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Liz, something strange happening I’m hoping you can help with. When I first set up the logic flow, it was working correctly. When I selected 2 of the 5 multiple choices, logic took me to those 2 only, and then skipped all the others no matter what order the selections were in. 

Now what seems to be happening (and I can’t figure out why), is, for example: 

• I select choices 2 and 3 out of the 5 available, 
  • Logic takes me to 2, then 3 as expected, but then,
  • I’m still seeing all the remaining choices (4, 5, other) presented to me as well, even though I didn’t select them in the original question.

I’ve tried it a few different ways, and each time it shows all remaining questions regardless of whether they were selected or not. Some more examples:

• Select choice 1 of 5 in multiple choice, form goes to 1, but then still shows 2-5 (including other)
  • Select choice 4, form goes to 4 (expected), but then shows 5 and ‘other’ (not expected)

What am I missing? Thanks!

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MCSims ! On Questions 4 and 5, do you have logic jumps setup something like this? 

For every question after the first, you’ll want to add logic jumps to still direct the respondent where to go or to prevent them from seeing that question. If you wouldn’t mind sending a screenshot of how you have your jumps currently setup, we’ll be able to help answer this better for you! :) 

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok, realized where my mistake was and corrected it, working now! Thank you.

M.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@MCSims Glad you got it working! If there’s anything else we can help with, let us know. :) 

Hi Liz,

This query is perfect for me! I am having the same issue, I’ve red your comments and saw that in you initial comment, you have added two links:

“If you’re using the classic builder, you can find the steps here and the steps for the new builder here. “

Unfortunately, both links redirect to the same place - the help center page. I believe there was a different URLs and it was changed maybe along the way since you answered 10 months ago.

I was wondering maybe you can share those relevant links again?

:pray:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bar - welcome to the community.

There is only one version of the builder available at this time, so looking for information on the two of them to compare will lead you to banging your head on the desk. 

the essence of the logic is that you have two methods: an outcome quiz or a score quiz. 

If you want to control the logic jumps ie if you allow a user to select multiple responses from a multiple choice question and guide them to answer questions on only the selected responses, you need to use something along the lines of the following logic - i will use 4 possible choices from q1 as this example.

• in q1 the logic rules would need to be applied as follows: 
    • if q1 =a then jumpto q2
    • if q1 =b then jumpto q3
    • if q1 =c then jumpto q4
    • if q1=d then jumpto q5
    • this allows for the user to be guided to the next ‘required question’  
  • in q2 the logic rules are:
    • if q1=b then jumpto q3
    • if q1=c then jumpto q4
    • if q1=d then jumpto q5
    • otherwise jumpto ending
  • in q3 the logice rules are 
    • if q1=c then jumpto q4
    • if q1=d then jumpto q5
  • in q4 the logic rules are
    • if q1=d then jumpto q5
  • in q5 the logic rule is
    • jumpto ending

this structure checks to see if the selection from q1 was made and starts the user at the correct point (if q1 was only = d then it would go to q5 and then out) 

this works on individual questions as in this example as well as in question groups where you want to ask multiple questions about an individual response. you can see a short example of that at this link

cheers

des