Answered

Can one restrict access to form using email domains?

Userlevel 1

Hi! I’m a new guy in the block.

I wanted to know if there is any way of filtering participants by using a specific email address domain. In other words, I would only like people with a certain “@domain.com” to be able to participate. It’s for a school thing and only people with email domains from the school should be able to participate in order to ensure the validity of the survey. Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Liz 9 March 2021, 22:59

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @angel.miro Hello! Welcome to our corner of the block! :) 

You can use logic jumps to prevent certain domains from being accepted. I created a video below to show you how to set this up. 

Let me know if you run into any troubles with setting up these logic jumps!

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much! This helped me out A LOT! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wahoo! Glad to hear, @angel.miro ! :grinning: Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with. 

Hi Everyone,

We’re facing an issue with the submit botton. We’ve implemented the logic jump to restrict certain “@domain.com”, but even when the user receive the restricted message the submit botton appears and if the users clicks submit it goes directly to our CRM with the “@domain.com” that we don’t want. We think it is a bug but someone can help us to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Marketing Team thanks for stopping by! Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the logics you have setup as well as the URL of the form? Thanks!

Hi @Liz, Thanks for your reply. 

Please find below an image of the logic we’ve implemented:

And this is the logic used for message A.:

We don’t want them to submit the information because the form is sync with the CRM and it's going to collect an unwanted email domain. So, How we can do to remove the button?

Thank you,

Marketing Team

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Marketing Team Ah, got it! It looks like you have the logics setup correctly and they’re working as they should. The downside is that we can’t remove the submit button, so what I would do instead is have a logic jump that moves them back in the form to avoid the submit button. Usually I wouldn’t recommend this since backwards logic jumps can break the form, but if you’re sending them back to the email question, this shouldn’t cause a break in the form. 

It’s not the best workaround, but hopefully it’s something!

Hi there, 

I have a form, in particular a form capturing details for a trial. We only require business-related emails and we do not accept gmail.com, yahoo.com, iCloud.com (free emails services)etc. Is there anyway to set a form up, so that the email field does not accept, certain email suffixs. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ilicomm. Happy Wednesday =) 

I moved your question here where the answer is. Let us know if you have any other questions :hugging:

Hey there @Liz  - this video helped out so much and we’ve managed to limit those pesky - non-business related enquiries from the form. 

Thank you for taking the time to create the video and help out. 

Have a great weekend, 

David

:nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ilicomm - from another user here: thank  you for sharing that it worked for you. 

it’s these little snippets that will help others understand that it can be done. 

you get a sticky star from me! lol

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ilicomm wahoo! Glad that worked for you! Let us know if you have any other questions at all. :grinning:

Badge

Hi, how can I do this with a phone number? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @isabelavc It depends what you’re restricting in the phone number. For example, if you’re restricting to a certain country, we don’t have this option available in our logic jumps. But if you’re looking for a specific area code, this should be possible using the “begins with” filter in the logic jump. 

Badge

Hi There,

I need to restrict free email addresses on a form, and was able to do so through these instructions (thank you!). The only issue I’m having is that it still submits the answers up to the email question - my team gets a notification of this “submission” and it’s being passed to HubSpot. Is there a way around this? We don’t want to know about these people… or have them end up in our database. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @sarah_s The form won’t save responses in the Results panel until the respondent clicks the submit button. How is the form setup? Any URLs/screenshots you can provide will help us understand the issue better. 

Badge

@Liz - thanks for the response! Here’s the form. Here’s an example of a response submission that did not complete the form (entered an @gmail.com and was taken to an end page with no submit button), but still hit our ‘responses’ section (and passed on to our CRM). Let me know if there’s anything else you need! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm. What is the end page the respondent saw? Could you send a screenshot of that page, @sarah_s ? The only way to see an ending page is by clicking the submit button, so it sounds like the respondent did submit their information, but I just want to be sure we’re referencing the same parts of the product. 

Badge

@Liz - Here’s a screencast. I just noticed in doing this video that the “ok” button changes to a “submit” button if one of the email domains that we’re restricting is used (e.g. @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc.). Is there a way around this? From a user experience standpoint, the form is behaving the way we want it to. The problem, though, is that these people are still getting dumped into our CRM database… and they’re essentially “junk” contacts that aren’t legitimate leads (and we pay by contact number - so we’ll have to constantly remove them so that we don’t have to pay for them). Is there a way to not let the person go through the form without requiring them to hit ‘submit’? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @sarah_s ah, I see. Thank you! Instead of sending them to the end screen, I would suggest adding in a statement that tells them they aren’t able to use that email domain and then add a logic jump to move them back in the form. It’s a bit of an endless loop, but it should hopefully prevent them from submitting the form. 

Hi,

We have junk domains to exclude. A list of like 10 or 15 domains. Is it possible to have the condition “contains: all the junk emails” together? If that’s possible, what is the syntax? Shall we separate them all by coma?

Also, I have fake leads coming in and I want them to be led to a page with no submit button, so that they assume the the form is broken. I won’t tell them that the email domain they submitted is not accepted, because they may try to bypass the rule by adding a legit email (google, yahoo, icloud, etc.). Does this trick work? I do not want them to submit anything and do not want my CRM and Google Analytics to record a conversion.

Help please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yacine Thanks for reaching out! We don’t have this feature available, so you would need to manually add each domain using the workaround above. 

similar question to Yacine’s above -- if I’m looking to “greenlight” a series of emails (200+ emails), is there a way to do this in one step? For example, if you enter in any of the following emails (but picture this being 200+ names long instead of 3), you’re granted access to the rest of the form, but if you enter any other email, you are redirected?

x@gmail.com

y@typeform.com

z@fifthwall.com

As in, could you build one step of logic that says if it contains: and then said “x@gmail.comy@typeform.comz@fifthwall.com” , would that work?

Let me know - thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have a situation similar to the one described by @vhd3rt, with around 250 domains to blacklist. It looks like I have to indicate one domain per check, as on the screenshot by marketing team. I don’t mind as it can be done using the API.

The question I have is: is there a limit on the number of conditions a logic can have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jeremielp and @vhd3rt You would need to set up a logic for each domain you want to blacklist. There isn’t necessarily a limit on how many logic jumps you can have in a form, but the form may be slow if you have a lot of them. This varies on other factors such as the images you have, the questions, etc.