Answered

Can you disable partial completion?

• 25 February 2021
  • 9 replies

We’re using the Typeform embed API to display a form on our website. If the user does not complete the form, their partial responses are kept and pre-filled the next time they start the form. Is there a way to disable this so that each time the form is started, it is completely empty without the previous partial answers?

icon

Best answer by picsoung 25 February 2021, 03:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Aaron 
This is a new feature we just released that should help most people but I understand it might fit your need.

One way to do this would be to add a line in your code to delete localstorage (where the partial responses are stored in respondent’s browser)

localStorage.clear();

But if you are embedding your form, I believe partial responses should not be stored 🤔

This is very helpful. Thank you. A follow-up question though. Will this affect hidden fields that are passed to my form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Aaron, not it wont. Hidden values will be taken into account regardless.

Hi, might be a stupid question, but how do you access the local storage of another domain (the opened Typeform page)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi, might be a stupid question, but how do you access the local storage of another domain (the opened Typeform page)?

I believe localstorage is unique per protocol, host & port.
It’s like cookies, you are only allowed to edit the ones you own, so your own domain.

So my previous solution won’t work 🤦‍♂️
Maybe that could be something we expose in the Embed SDK, what do you think @mathio ?

Hi picsoung,

That would be great, or even a query string parameter could work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Werner1234 @picsoung 👋 

This feature has been in between teams and on the bottom of the priority list until now. We will likely be able to move this feature forward in Q2 2022.

We will post our progress on Github: https://github.com/Typeform/embed/issues/215

We have an issue with this too. I posted in the embed repo as well, but it’s a big security risk, as anyone who uses the computer when there is an uncompleted form can read the previous user’s answers. Do we have an update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Update: The feature is ready to be reviewed by respective teams and could be released as soon as this week. See conversation on GIthub.