Answered

Can you use conditional logic on email responses?

• 28 January 2021
  • 13 replies

Is it possible to send a different email based off of conditions within the form.

Mainly I would be looking to send a different email if you are the first person to fill out the form / or have a different response depending on the timeframe the form was submitted.

i.e. Can I send response A if you submit the form within the first week, and response B if you submit the form anytime after that?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by picsoung 28 January 2021, 20:01

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cuken . Welcome to the community! :) 

Our notifications feature will send one email regardless of how the respondent answers, but a workaround would be to set this up using Zapier + Typeform + Your Email Service Provider. I also particularly like this method because you can then track opens and send other email campaigns this way if you’d prefer. 

You can learn more about the workaround here, but if you have a particular email service provider, such as Mailchimp, I can provide a few more ideas, too. Just let me know which one you have! :) 

Thanks for posting your question, too. I’m sure they are some other members here that are also looking to send emails based on answers in the form. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Cuken 👋
This is a great question!

Once way to do this would be probably to update the email notification message after the first week of existence of your form.

But if it depends on another date (like their signup date on your product) you would have to rely on another service to send those emails.

Either using something like Zapier, Sendgrid, or Courier
You would need to use webhook to trigger this workflow so it will ping this email service for every ping.
In each of those email services you can either create two emails, or one email template with conditions.

Here is an example project to connect Typeform and Sendgrid.

Hope it makes sense :)

Noting that this was a native tool on Jotform. I love Typeform forms, but not being able to send custom self-notifications to different colleagues based on respondent questions is challenging. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ssweeneyjgi Thanks for sharing! :) Hopefully you’ll be able to utilize the workaround above in the meantime. :grinning:

I’ve tried but haven’t been able to make the workaround work the way I need it to. I have a set of categories in our contact form, and based on a user's selection of a category, a notification email will be targeted to a specific colleague with all the form data. I got stuck in Zapier with the trigger. It wouldn’t pick up the category options so I couldn’t set up the actions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ssweeneyjgi  - were you using the filters option in Zapier? If so, you may need to submit a test on the form in order for Zapier to pickup all of the available questions and answers. 

Has there been any updates to this?

Conditional logic for email notifications would be especially useful for us in many instances as would for sending Slack notifications.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @OPFS This isn’t currently a feature in our roadmap, but if anything changes, I’ll post an update here. 😀

Pleeeeease add it!

yes its possible. conditional logics serve the purpose. I have seen it being done on st courier tracking website . you can do that too. 

yes its possible. conditional logics serve the purpose. I have seen it being done on courier tracking website . you can do that too. 

In the Conditional Logic window, create new rules by specifying the condition and the email address(es) where the notifications should be sent if the conditions are met. You can put multiple email addresses, separated with commas.This guide highlights how to send different email alerts using Conditional Logic to select the email template and change the recipients based on the form filler’s answer.The Change E-mail Recipient condition, as the name suggests, changes or overrides the selected email template’s recipients. It sends the selected email alert to the defined recipients when triggered.

To send an email to a different person depending on how the form is answered, you will need to do the following;

1. For each desired recipient, set up a custom email under After Submission → Emails.
  2. In the custom email setup, toggle on "Email logic", and add the conditions for when this recipient should receive an email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@colleencamacho59 - welcome back to the community

quick question: what software are you referring to in your post above? These are not native functions inside Typeform. 

How are you using Typeform in your business process flows?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cuken @ssweeneyjgi @OPFS @markspenser1121 @colleencamacho59 just wanted to let you all know that we’ve released the option to send emails based on different factors!