Answered

Capture IP address

• 9 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, We plan to use Typeform for our survey. Typeform will capture the customer's IP address and restrict them from submitting the survey multiple times?

icon

Best answer by picsoung 16 May 2021, 00:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Charles. Happy Tuesday! :hugging:

We don’t currently offer a way to automatically prevent people answering a typeform more than once, but here's a way you can detect this: You can embed the typeform in a page with cookies that does not allow the respondent to view the typeform more than once (this option will require someone with coding skills on your side). You can use this cookie resource for embedded typeforms. =)

Hope it helps! 

Best regards
The business finds it important to have the IP addresses from where the client is sending the form to identify the origin of the regions and if from the same IP address they are filling out the same form several times.
I would like to know if you plan to carry out this functionality in the future.
Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey Jorge,
While we don’t expose the respondent’s IP address in the result panel or the API, we provide a networkId.
As explained on this page:

• Network ID: a randomly-generated string of characters unique to the IP address of the respondent. This Network ID is unique to the IP from which the response was collected. It can be used to detect and filter out duplicates. We don’t store respondent IP addresses, although we use the IP address to generate this ID. If several respondents connect through the same network or WiFi, they’ll have the same generated Network ID. On the other hand, if a single person is filling in your typeforms from different locations (therefore different networks) a different Network ID will be associated with each of their submissions.

Using this network id you should be able to identify if a user has already answered from this IP.
Hope it helps,

Hello,

If the same person on same network fills out multiple surveys on different days, does their Network ID appear the same across surveys? Or is Network ID only usable to identify duplicate respondents within one survey?

Thanks

Badge

This is so, so, so fundamental… Between not providing submission IP, not being able to hide address fields, and not being able to A/B test, I’m starting to question how useful this is...

Hey, 

Is it possible to identify a user’s IP address after submitting a typeform? I’d need to know their country, and I believe that the Network ID only can be used to identify duplicates? Or is it able to identify a country date based on IP address? Thanks!