Answered

Closing off options from picture multiple choice question

• 22 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I’m using a series of typeforms for registrations for retreat events that all include accommodation, and allow participants to select (and pay for) their preferred accommodation.  (I think ultimately a pretty cool use-case for typeform!  Check out our forms at northernedgealgonquin.ca/book-now)

Now, as we have different accommodation styles, we occasionally need to close them off due to them being fully-booked.  I’d like an easy way to show that the choice Was available, but is no longer.

What I’ve tried in the past:

• A new question type that says “sorry, that’s fully booked, please go back”
  • I already have follow-up questions that show a bit more about the accommodation selected and ask for confirmation - I’ve tried removing the “confirm” button and asking them to go back.

At the scale of forms we’re using, it’s impractical to go back in and adjust for either of these two solutions - and it clutters up some already-complicated logic.  I’d prefer something built right into the question.

I’m wondering if there’s an easier way for me to toggle them off - perhaps if I integrated a quiz functionality (ie: wrong answer function?)

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 22 September 2021, 20:25

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @northernedge Happy Wednesday! Sounds like really cool retreats you’re running! :grinning:

The solutions you’ve tried are the best workarounds we have, I’m afraid. We don’t have an option to toggle answers on/off, though I can share this feedback with our product team. 

@john.desborough or @Paulo may have another suggestion I’m missing, but I think you’ve already tried them all. :sweat:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@northernedge @Liz - yay Canada! (Ottawa here) 

one thing that voice #6 in my head (of 7 in case you are wondering) has suggested is something along this lines:

• assume 2 types of accommodation - single room, double room - and picture choice selection to choose one of options
  • set text variables v_single and v_double to default of ‘avail’ for both
    • this will be a manual intervention to set one or both to ‘soldout’ 
  • create ‘alternate logic paths’ for the accommodation selections
    • if v_single = avail and v_double = avail then jumpto  accommodation q1 
    • if v_single = soldout and v_double = avail then jumpto accommodation q2 (showing single image with sold out text on image??)
    • if v_single = avail and v_double = soldout then jumpto accommodation q3 (soldout image for double)
    • if v_single=soldout and v_double=soldout then jumpto accommodation statement question that says ‘hey, you were too slow, bring a tent!’)

then your payment logic would pick up based on what they chose.. 

if you build in the pathing questions and logic up front for the possible options, then ONCE something sells out all you have to do is edit the variable in the form and republish and then Bob’s yer uncle!

now i better get another coffee in case that actually made sense to someone.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Now I need a coffee too, @john.desborough !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Now I need a coffee too, @john.desborough !

or tequila .. in the coffee.. and put the car keys in the drawer

Badge

Thanks @Liz @john.desborough ,

It’s a creative solution! But with 4 cabin types, I think a bit complicated - I’ll look into it, I also want to make it easy for staff to hop in and adjust availability.  :)

May just opt to change the text to *sold out* . .

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Now I need a coffee too, @john.desborough !

or tequila .. in the coffee.. and put the car keys in the drawer

It’s five o’clock somewhere! :nerd:

@northernedge I think your idea with changing the text might actually work well! The only downside would be if the respondent clicks that option anyway, but hopefully that wouldn’t happen too much. 

@john.desborough 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Liz @john.desborough ,

It’s a creative solution! But with 4 cabin types, I think a bit complicated - I’ll look into it, I also want to make it easy for staff to hop in and adjust availability.  :)

May just opt to change the text to *sold out* . .

@northernedge - no worries.. the logic to parse down 4 streams is not that hard to put into solution tho it would be much easier to write the sql statements vs the logic rule building.. if you have these four types of accommodation for this retreat, i am assuming they are the same types for all future retreats: build it one time, copy/duplicate the form for the next ones… 

beer on me if you can make it work!

btw in terms of making it easy to update: you ONLY need to go into the variables tab on the advanced logic tab and replace the ‘avail’ with ‘sold’ (or whatever you use), save the variable change and click publish .. 

des (not above bribing someone to give it a go)