Answered

Decimal point numbers in a number question

• 25 February 2021
  • 73 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I'm thinking about creating a typeform for an e-commerce site, where users will be able to create a complaint about their orders, however, not all products are sold as integer values, some of them are sold by weight, and so, I need a number question to allow people to enter things like 1.7 or 2.3.

I this possible on Typeform? I wasn't able to find a way to do so.

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 February 2021, 17:15

View original

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Carlos Bernal thanks for stopping by! We don’t currently support decimals, I’m afraid, and the only workaround for this would be to change the numbers to whole numbers. :( Though, thanks for sharing your use case here because this helps give us a better understanding of how you’re using decimals in the form!

Userlevel 2

Can this be changed to accept decimals, currency, and/or percentages? I am using a number field that I would like to format to pre-format to accept USD values, but it looks like it only takes whole numbers.

Example:

Question:

How much do you spend on car insurance each month?

Answer: (pre-formatted with USD/decimals)

$

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Merrik Added your question to this post here to be updated should we add support for decimals! :) 

Userlevel 1

Just adding a +1 to this. Being able to accept decimal numbers would be very helpful!

I would also like to see decimals added as they are such a vital part of price calculation.  Thanks!

Can I also please request this!? Has this been an absolute oversight? How can you do calculations without decimal points? :face_palm_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you all for the feedback and requests - we’ve shared them with product. :grinning: While I don’t have any updates at the moment, when I do, I’ll comment back here!

This is also a problem for us. We need decimal. Text is a problem for integration and for the customer that can give us a data that is not only a number. @Liz please, tell Product that this is a completely must! Thanks a lot

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also need to be able to use decimals - only whole numbers seems way too basic for an otherwise very useful tool - I have to instead use a short answer option and then of course there is no option for calculations… :(

En efecto, poder introducir decimales es una funcionalidad básica que echamos en falta de este maravillosa plataforma. ASAP! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another +1 

Userlevel 1

+1 for me too please

Userlevel 1

Likewise - not having the option to add a decimal number is a feature we would have expected in 2001, not 2021.

Yes - we would like to add decimals also. In fact what we are really looking for is a currency field but a number field that allows decimals would work.

Badge

Adding decimals means we can do more accurate money and percentage equations - the equation/calculation functionality is SO important!!

Hi, bugger I’d love to use Typeform but cannot as I need decimal points in number calculations.

+1 for us as well, we really need decimals!

Is there any reason; business or technical why decimals can’t be allowed in this field? It is a major drawback not having this feature as anytime I want to capture a number with a decimal I have to use a text box.

Badge +5

Is there any reason; business or technical why decimals can’t be allowed in this field? It is a major drawback not having this feature as anytime I want to capture a number with a decimal I have to use a text box.

I’m asking this question internally on your behalf @Tristan. I’ll revert back once I hear from the Product Team. 

Yeah we need decimals. This might be a deal breaker and force us to use a different service because of it. As much as I love type form.

@Liz looks like you guys have been talking about adding something for this for 7 years now? Any updates? Here’s a link to that tweet from 2014…..

(20) Typeform on Twitter: "@TheOTown decimals are in the pipeline. You can use a short text field to accept decimals, but it won't run validation. -S" / Twitter

much needed!!!!!! I can never give my customers accurate information without decimal points.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok, all, I have some good news! I did discover from our product team that you can use decimals in other fields, such as short text fields. The reason it isn’t currently possible in the Number field is because the field is set to check that the respondent’s answer is a number and thus, it’s harder to check that with the decimals. 

Though, the developers did say they will look further into adding support for decimals in the number field, and in the meantime, you can use a short text field. :grin:

@Ziwzih @egw @Tristan @Alex Chapman @ryno 

Ok, all, I have some good news! I did discover from our product team that you can use decimals in other fields, such as short text fields. The reason it isn’t currently possible in the Number field is because the field is set to check that the respondent’s answer is a number and thus, it’s harder to check that with the decimals. 

Though, the developers did say they will look further into adding support for decimals in the number field, and in the meantime, you can use a short text field. :grin:

@Ziwzih @egw @Tristan @Alex Chapman @ryno 

This doesn’t really resolve the issue as using text fields to enter numbers means it pulls up a text keyboard as opposed to a number keyboard on mobile which is much less user-friendly. It also means for answers expecting a number that text can be entered and mess up any calculations. Did the developers say when they could look into adding 1 . to support decimals?

Small text doesn't allow you to use the advanced logic and calculation functions such as “greater than and equal to” etc. It only allows you to use functions like “contains” and “equal to”