Answered

Fill Matrix Rows with Hidden Fields

• 3 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all

I wonder if someone can help:

1.  I’m surveying 1,000+ school students to ask them what they think of their chosen study subjects. See screenshot below.
  2. Students have 3 subjects each
  3. Across all 1,000+ students there are 100s of combinations (e.g. English, Maths, History).
  4.  I know what subjects each student studies and can embed them in the URL as hidden fields
  5. What I can’t work out how to do is then present each subject as a line in a 3 Row Matrix.

Any idea how I do this or recommendations of other survey providers who do have this feature if it can’t be done in TypeForm?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Charlie

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 3 March 2022, 23:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Charlie Bantoft I’m afraid it isn’t possible to recall variables in the matrix options. @john.desborough or @Paulo have you had any fancy workarounds for something like this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @Charlie Bantoft - the only way i can see doing this, unfortunately, means that you would need to do something like the following - bear with me for the logic - but you can see an example at this link

• create a single rating (or NPS?? ) question for each each of the courses
    • yes you might have 15 or 20 depending on your curriculum
  • you can pass in the course that someone takes as hidden fields via the url
  • i created question groups 1-3 (max passed courses)  with a question for each of the 4 possibilities that could be passed (math, english, history, science)
    • in each question group there is a question for each of the 4 subjects
  • start the logic with the hidden fields - my example here will use 4 courses only but you can expand/extrapolate the logic the variables below are passed in the url string and are passed in the same order that the questions in the quiz are created:
    • if course1=math jumpto qgroup1-q1a
    • if course1=english jumpto qgroup1-q1b
    • if course1= history jumpto qqgroup1-q1c
    • if course1= science jumpto qqgroup1-q1d
  • logic rules on q1a:
    • if course2=english jumpto q2b
    • if course2= history jumpto q2c
    • if course2= science jumpto q2d
  • logic rules on q1b:
    • if course2=math jumpto q2a
  • logic rules on q1c:
    • if course2= english jumpto q2b
  • logic rules on q1d:
    • if course2= english jumpto q2b

repeat this logic in question group2 and then jump out to ending on each of the third options 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Charlie Bantoft Were you able to give @john.desborough ‘s suggestion a try? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@ john.desborough and @Liz  Huge apologies for the delay in coming back to you.  @john.desborough Thank you so much for thinking about this and for going to the trouble of putting an example up.  I really appreciate it.  Very kind.  

Unfortunately it just wasn’t workable with so many variations.  Due to the way Typeform sets out its questions it also gave the impression of lots and lots of questions.  I’ve found a solution else where which allows me to embed the courses in the URL and then auto creates the matrix as the student enters the survey.  If they study 3 subject, the matrix has 3 rows and it populates with the names of the subject. If they have 5 subjects, the matrix has 5 rows; if 14, it has 14 rows etc etc.

Technically it’s nothing that Typeform cannot do with hidden fields; it’s just that Typeform doesn’t allow you to use Hidden fields in a matrix, multiple choice or drop down - more’s the pity.

Again, really appreciate your time and thoughts though @john.desborough .  Thank you.

Charlie

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

any time @Charlie Bantoft  - glad you found a solution for your use case

cheers

des