Answered

How to know the Google keywords each response came from

Show first post

45 replies

Badge

I have UTM parameters enabled (source, medium, campaign) and If I structure the code like this, the code doesnt work (im using squarespace)

<div class="typeform-widget" data-url="https://form.typeform.com/to/aNOxFDvM?typeform-welcome=0" data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign" style="width: 100%; height: 500px;"></div> <script> (function() { var qs,js,q,s,d=document, gi=d.getElementById, ce=d.createElement, gt=d.getElementsByTagName, id="typef_orm", b=https://embed.typeform.com/; if(!gi.call(d,id)) { js=ce.call(d,"script"); js.id=id; js.src=b+"embed.js"; q=gt.call(d,"script")[0]; q.parentNode.insertBefore(js,q) } })() </script>

Badge

So my quetion is, if i create custom hidden fields. What fields should I create, and how should I structure the code so I can track search terms (keywords) from google ads?
Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @inc0ntr0l the hidden fields shown in the walkthrough are the ones that should work for Google Ads, too, since it is tracking the source. If the hidden fields aren’t working on your site, do you mind sending the URL so I can take a look at the code? :grin:

When I enable the UTM tracking to the type form it automatically adds “xxxxx” to the name. i.e.utm_source=xxxxx

Does this mean that the source that is going to be pushed through is going to “xxxxx” or is this just a placeholder for a variable?

Why does it ask for me to input information? I don’t know where the person came from. The UTM in the URL that is on my website page would have that information. How does Typeform pull that information? Is it through the hidden fields?

Thanks

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Andy-Weever Great question! That’s just a placeholder for the variable. You’ll want to remove the x’s in order to have that information input into your URL from the source that’s passing that data into the hidden fields. Do you know how you’re currently passing that data to your website right now? 

data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium"

Hi Liz,

We have a Typeform linked from our site and the GA integration enabled. I can see all the Typeform activity in our GA that’s properly attributed to marketing activities (via utm).

We want to actually record the utms associated with each Typeform response and then pass through to Airtable via direct integration or Zapier.

If we:

1. embed the Typeform on our site
  2. add the short bit of additional code you provided (quoted)

Will this automatically grab utms for each submission and allow us to send to Airtable?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Tinycare Yes, as long as you add the code and then in the Typeform/Airtable integration settings map the hidden fields, this should work! Though, as always, I’d recommend testing it just to be sure it’s working exactly as you’d like. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Liz,

I hope you’ll be able to help me in this situation. I’ve added the new code after activating UTM tracking.

Here is the code that I pasted on Wordpress. (I use the Divi Website Builder)

Do I still need to add this line of code after utm_content=” ?

data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium"

Right now, when I try clicking on my ad and submitting a response, this is what I got :

Do I have to add the utm tracking on Google Ads too or only on the embedded form ? What I want to know is where my respondents are coming from. Did they click on the ad and filled out the form or was it organic ? 

Here is the link where the form is embedded : https://mellosbrochetteschoco.ca/louer-mellos/

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mellos Thanks for stopping by and apologies for the delay - I was out of office. Yes, you will need to add that line of code into the embed. If that doesn’t work, let me know!

Userlevel 1
Badge

HI @Liz,

I have added the line of code but when I test it, this is what I see.

Still no luck,

Can you help ? Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @mellos ! Do you mind if I submit a test to see if the variables pass in? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

No problem @Liz , go ahead !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @mellos ! I just submitted a test - let me know if that data didn’t come through. I entered “google” for all of the hidden fields. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hy @Liz , here’s a screenshot of the results of the test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm. @mathio , do you happen to see anything that would be preventing the data from entering into the form? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Liz and @mellos 

I do. This setting:

data-tf-hidden="utm_source=xxxxx,utm_medium=xxxxx,utm_campaign=xxxxx,utm_term=xxxxx,utm_content=xxxxx"

overrides this other setting:

data-tf-transitive-search-params="utm_source, utm_medium"

You need to remove the data-tf-hidden attribute for this to work properly.

Edit: Updated the attribute name.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @mathio ,

I’ve removed the data-th hidden attribute and I don’t se the “xxxxx” anymore. I made 3 tests and they all come out with blank results.

Here is my code : 

Here are the results :

I’m wondering why ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry, I havent noticed you used attribute name from old embed lib version. Correct attribute name is data-tf-transitive-search-params, not data-transferable-url-parameters.

I edited my answer in case anyone finds it in future. @Liz maybe this thread (and correct answer) should be updated to include correct attribute name. Can you please do it? Since this is quite an old thread it has outdated info.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @mathio , I’ve changed the code and tested it but it still won’t show. Is there anything I have to do on my website’s URL ? 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You need to add those parameters to your URL. In your case  ?utm_source=my-source&utm_medium=my-medium