Answered

How to pass long data to a form

I understand how to pass simple data to a form via hidden fields. But what happens when that data is very long? URL querystrings are generally limited to 2048 characters, and my data has the potential to be much longer.

Is there a way to have my form pull that data from an external data source instead of via the querystring? I’m very comfortable developing against an API, so that’s on the table as an option. Or maybe some other option I’m not thinking of?

I’d also rather not have to generate a new form for every person, as that may result in hundreds of forms. 

So my ideal situation: 1 form, pull data from an external source (via a unique identifier I can pass as a hidden variable). 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by mathio 6 July 2022, 10:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @chrispayne What kind of data are you trying to pass into the form? We can’t change too much about the URL limitation, but we could try to think of workarounds if you don’t mind sharing what you’re passing into the form. 

Hi @chrispayne What kind of data are you trying to pass into the form? We can’t change too much about the URL limitation, but we could try to think of workarounds if you don’t mind sharing what you’re passing into the form. 

In this case it’s user feedback. 

I’ve collected “long text” in one form that I want to display on another, so that the responder can see what the feedback was while responding to it. Our use case requires the feedback to be presented to the responder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @chrispayne Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense. @picsoung or @mathio do either of you happen to have any ideas for workarounds on this? I can’t think of any off the top of my head. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think this is not possible at the moment.