Answered

Is it possible make a question required when previous question "long Text" contains anything?

• 26 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey everyone, 

this is a somewhat unusual case, but it would be pretty important to us.

We collect feedback with typeform after we consult our website visitors.

The survey has 3 multiple choice questions, 1 long text question and 1 email question.

Whenever we get a long text back, ideally we would like to contact that user again.

At the moment, whenever the long text is filled in, the email is not required in the next question so we cannot contact the user afterwards. 

I assume it is not possible, but I am still asking: Is there a way to make question 5 “required” if question 4 contains anything at all.

I thought of having two different email questions and show “required” or “not required” based on the answer of question 4. However, I don’t know how this would be possible either.

I would need a logic option like: If 4 contains “any answer” or “isn’t empty” jump to question X.

Any advice is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by daniel 29 August 2022, 08:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @daniel Happy Friday! While we don’t have an option to set a logic jump based on a long-text answer that has any answer, but is there any yes/no question or multiple choice question you could add before the long text one to filter out the email question easier? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Liz Thanks for your reply.
I actually solved it out another way now.

I added the mail question twice. (Questions 5 and 6)

For question number 4, I used the following logic step:

• If 4 is not equal to “empty” jump to question 5. (Question 5 is the required Mail adress)
  • All other cases jump to question 6.

I didn’t know if “is not equal to” would work, if I just leave the field empty, but we tested it extensively and it seems to solve our problem. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Amazing, @daniel! Why don't you send us the link to your form so we can test it and give you some feedback? Have a nice day! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

https://xck8nhpvh9t.typeform.com/to/u6ADBJY5