Answered

Is it possible to build logic to skip a question (or group of questions) that is much later in the form?

• 2 February 2022
  • 5 replies

I want to ask a question that makes the most logical sense early in the form (e.g. age / sex / location) but that would apply to skipping questions much later in the form that may not be applicable (e.g. a question that doesn’t make sense to ask early on because its very specific but would be irrelevant to someone of a certain age / sex / location). Is this possible in typeform? If so, how?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 3 February 2022, 04:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @coreyvanderwal Welcome to the community! Happy to have you here. You can use the logic jump set up here to show only questions that apply based on previous answers. :grinning:

Thanks Liz. I’m not sure that speaks to my question. Let me try to be a bit more concrete. If I want the response to question #2 to to inform whether question #45, #52 and #86 are shown to a user, is there a way to do so? Right now, I can only see ways for logic to affect the questions immediately following a given question onto which the logic is applied (i.e. the logic is always “jump to”, never “show” or “hide”). 

For additional context, it is not an option for me to change the order of the questions because I’ve grouped my questions into an order that makes sense to a user (e.g. first I ask basic demographic questions, later I ask about lifestyle, etc. - the demographic questions should come first but would affect which lifestyle questions are applicable to a given user).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@coreyvanderwal - one way to do this is that on question BEFORE the one you want to skip you put some logic like what i have laid out below. Let’s make the assumption that the questions relate to pregnancy and if the user says they are ‘male’ in question 2, you want to skip over them:

on q44:

• logic rule - if q2 = male then jumpto q46 (bypasses q45

on q51:

• logic rule if q2 = male then jumpto q53….

using the logic rule on the question BEFORE allows you to skip over the question. 

hope that helps a little

des

John - Thanks. That certainly is getting closer to an answer and I think I could see how I could hack it together this way (even if a bit manual doing this question by question rather than a single rule that could be applied to many questions)!

If anyone has other ideas, I’m all ears. I’m asking partially as I know that other form builders have the ability I’m describing (e.g. Jotform). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @coreyvanderwal des’s suggestion is going to be the best way to go, so let us know how it works out for you! :grinning: