Answered

Logic + method for defining 3 mutually-exclusive groups

• 5 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi everyone. I need your help in working out: (1) the logic, and (2) the method, for defining three, mutually-exclusive groups of respondents to my Typeform quiz.

My quiz consists of 10 questions, each of which attracts a score that I have already defined in my Typeform.

What I want to do is define three groups:

• the first group is everyone who answers yes to Question A, Question B and Question C AND scores 20+
  • the second group is everyone who answers no to Question A, Question B and Question C AND scores under 15
  • the third group is everyone else.

Each group should receive a different screen at the end of the quiz, followed by an invitation to enter their email address.

How do I achieve this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 5 October 2023, 03:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nell100 - try this:

• if qA = yes AND qB=yes AND qC = yes AND @score greater than 20 THEN go to  statement X
  • if qA = no AND qB=no  AND qC = no AND @score less than 20 THEN go to statement Y
  • otherwise go to statement Z

the reason i put in a statement question is to allow you to present the different information for each group and then ask for their email on the next question. after the email question you would then send them to either a common ending screen or follow the logic separation and show them separate endings (to do this last bit, you could create a variable called something like v_ending as a text variable and when they arrive on a statement page you would replace the value of the variable with an ending indicator, something like this: 

• if they end up on statement X, the logic would be Always replace v_ending with X 
  • on statement Y - replace v_ending with Y
  • and on statement Z - replace v_ending with Z

on the email question - assuming the last question for this example, 

• if v_ending is X got o ending X
  • if v_ending is Y go to ending Y 
  • if v_ending is Z go to ending Z

hope that helps

des

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi John. Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I’ve now created three different statement pages. So far, so good. I need to digest the rest of the reply. Will probably need to come back to you!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi again Des,

OK, I think I’ve got it now. I’ve got the three statement pages and I created a custom text variable that corresponds to whether they are in group 1, 2 or 3. I settled on using one common stream for gathering the email details. It seems to be working as designed.

Next step is to tackle the email follow up mechanism you demonstrated in your webinar the week before last. Wish me luck! Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nell100 glad to hear it wasn’t that difficult to get the pages in place… and good luck in the followup mechanism.. as always, post questions in here and i will try to find time to answer them - as well as other folk from the Community. 

cheers

des