Answered

Need to create a BMI calculator

• 30 January 2021
  • 17 replies

I am looking to create a BMI calculator where the user gives us their weight in KGS and Height in Centimeter and the form would calculate their BMI and would suggest them if they fall in Underweght, Normal or Overweight category.

Is this type of calculation also possible?

icon

Best answer by amy.carlson 30 January 2021, 21:21

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jetiz . Thanks for joining the community! 

Our calculator will ask for a specific number entered when calculating the next equation after setting up the math. 

For example, If weight is equal to 130, add, 50. 

The calculator won’t be able to create a calculation like, 

Add the weight to the height.

Though, I’ll share this post with our product team, as having advanced calculations like this would be very handy!

The workaround I can think of for this would be to specify every possible measurement in the calculator, though that may take some time to build. 

If you think of anything else, please post it here! Others may also have a fancy workaround for this that I may not have thought of. :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @jetiz ! You’ve presented me with quite the task, but I think I may have cracked it. **not alone, my partner was the one who suggested the hundred variable, I give him credit for getting me past my mental wall :joy:

However, let me know if it does not work for you! Test it Here

The calculation I am using for the BMI is what I found on google, which is:  Mass/Height^2

Question 1 - Number question: What is your height in cm? **needs to be a whole number

Statement 1: It looks like you entered @recall Q1, the value needs to be higher than 0.

Question 2 - Number question: What is your weight in kg? **needs to be a whole number

Statement 2: It looks like you entered @recall Q2, the value needs to be higher than 0

Statement 3: Your BMI is @weight

Endings:

1. Underweight
  2. Normal Weight
  3. Overweight
  4. Obese

Variables:

bmi= 0

height= 0

hundred=100

weight= 0

Okay and now the logic.

Advanced → Branching & Calculations

Question 1:

Statement 1:

Question 2:

Statement 2:

Statement 3: 

Feel free to post questions here, or suggestions! I’m happy to discuss, this was really fun to troubleshoot, so thank you :nerd:!

Badge +5

@amy.carlson that's a mic drop response. Wonderful stuff, thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@amy.carlson I did not know this existed! Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@amy.carlson - that was cool.. 

Literally the task I am trying to solve, a BMI calc. This is gold. Thank you @amy.carlson

:clap::clap::clap:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If someone’s looking for my jaw, it’s on the floor. Excellent stuff, @amy.carlson:muscle::muscle::muscle:

@amy.carlson amazing! I have tried and failed for so long :D 
Can you tell me what plan you used to build it? Essential / Professional or Premium? I will upgrade to the correct version then :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey @__Anika__ ! I’d recommend the Professional plan if you’re trying to replicate this! I am on an Enterprise plan (perks of being a typeformer :joy: ) but the functionality will be available for the Professional plan. I’ve not tested it on the Essentials, but I believe the logic would be restricted (to only 3!)

I hope that helps! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you Amy this was very helpful. I was able to convert your formula to weigh in pounds and height in inches the only difference being multiplying the weight by 703. (BMI=weight in lbs x 703/height in inches squared).  For anyone who would like to check out my medical weight loss intake form: any feedback welcome!

My variables;

@BMI=0

@Weight=0

@Height=0

@seven03=703

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @JRyan Thank you for sharing this! Glad it worked out for you! I tested your form and found out my BMI! My only suggestion, depending on if you’re using the form for lead generation, would be to reveal the BMI after they submitted the form. Otherwise, the respondent might abandon the form without hitting submit since they already received the information they wanted! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

You're so smart. done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hopefully that helps, @JRyan ! Let me know how it goes. 😀

This thread has been a godsend. @JRyan I am trying to set up the calculation using your suggested edits, but my calculations are not accurate. Any chance you’d be able to share what the calculation logic looks like? I have a feeling I am just adding the 703 multiplier in the wrong place, but maybe I’m missing something else!

Userlevel 2
Badge

sure. I’ll make a Loom screen cast.  One sec…

here it is:

THANK YOU so much @JRyan

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, thank you so much @JRyan !! Glad to hear this has been helpful, @heatherboldworld