Answered

Open Text Questions Based on Multiple Choice

• 16 April 2024
  • 3 replies

I have a multiple choice question with 24 different options. Users can select up to three. Each of the choices has a separate long text section that we only want displayed if they included the corresponding choice in their response. In other words:

• A user selects Option 1, Option 5, and Option 10 from the multiple choice list
  • We then want to ask three more individual questions.
    • Why did you choose Option 1?
    • Why did you Choose Option 5?
    • Why did you choose Option 10?
    • We want to skip over the remaining 21 open text fields. So if they didn’t select Option 2 we don’t want to show the question “Why did you choose Option 2?”

In any other survey tool I’ve used, this would be relatively easy: Only show Followup question #5 if multiple choice option #5 was selected. But it seems like in Typeform there is jump logic but no real skip logic, so I’d have to have logic based on every possible combination of up to three answers from 24 selections which is something like 2300 combinations which would be ridiculous.

Am I missing something here? 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 16 April 2024, 00:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@leegoldin - not that bad, actually - your logic needs to go something like this - i will use q1 as the starting point and o1 through o24 to refer to the possible follow-up questions

• on q1 your logic rules look like this: 
    • if q1 = o1 then go to q_o1
    • if q1 = o2 then go to q_o2
    • if q1 =o24 then go to q_o24

this allows for the typeform to go to the first selected option in the list, be it o1 or o10 or even if they select only one, o24

• on q_o1 you need to evaluate where to go next 
    • if q1 = o2 then go to q_o2
    • in all other cases go to [ending or other page]

that will check to see where the user should be routed - the next appropriate selection or to the ending page

• on q_o2 the logic repeats, again in a declining balance
    • if q1 = o3 then go to q_o3
    • in all other cases go to [ending or other page]

continue and repeat down to q_o24 where there is but one logic rules

• always go to [ending other page] 

so yes there are 25 sets of logc rules to put in place but each question has has once less as you go down the list. 

hope that helps shorten the load

des

Thanks! It took a while, but it works!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@leegoldin - glad to hear.. now, save a copy of that form to use as a template for future forms where  you need similar logic.. just a suggestion

des