Answered

Passing additional data to a Typeform via url

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

We’d like to pass additional data to our Typeforms via the url. We’d like to be able to modify a form url like https://form.typeform.com/to/ABC123 such that additional data from this url ends up in the results when the form is completed. That is, the data would appear in the CSV per row when the results are exported.

It would be fine if the url auto-answered questions that the person sees. It’d also be fine if the data populated fields that were hidden.

Now, according to the documentation, there’s supposed to be an option to add custom hidden field data via an embed. From the code snippet, it looks like this data is in the url, which is what I’m looking for. But, I followed the documentation exactly, and I don’t have any “Advanced” section in the sidebar for a standard embed, and for the other embed modes that do show the “Advanced” section, I don’t see any “Hidden Fields” subsection. I didn’t see anything about it in the pricing plans either, so it’s unclear if it’s not available because we don’t have the right plan.

In any case, is there any way to pass in additional field data to a Typeform via a custom URL?

icon

Best answer by ben_wraith 2 March 2021, 18:11

View original

3 replies

Hey, it seems to have moved in the recent redesign. 

I can see it in Create>Logic>Advanced>Hidden Fields

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 1

Thanks @ben_wraith! But when you say, “> Logic >” where am I looking? Under “Create” I have all the icons on the left edge, the configuration panel next to it, and then the form preview on the right.

Do you mean the “Logic Jump” icon? I didn’t see it under there. I also checked under the settings icon.

So, for reference, we are using the Pro package. On a second look at the pricing plans, it does appear to have exactly what we need:

“Personalize with Hidden Fields” > “Pass information you already know into your typeform via the URL”

Userlevel 1

Ooh! So, I’m looking at some older forms we have, but you’re right. It looks like the new builder lays things out very differently, and I was able to find right where you’re referring to.

This is great. Should be exactly what we need.

Thanks again @ben_wraith!