Skip to main content
Answered

Saving images uploaded by users

• 18 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi! I have built a "scavenger hunt" on Typeform. It's working amazing, but we have one glitch I can't seem to solve. We have a couple of places where our players need to take a photo and upload it. That function is working fine, but my concern is if they get booted off the app or accidentally close it, they may have to start over again, which they won't and then our event host will probably have a stroke. The WEIRD thing is that in some places the app keeps the picture that was taken and uploaded, even when I refresh the page or sign out and then sign back on. But in other places we have them take and save a pic it doesn't save. Why is it working in some places and not all of the times we ask them to upload a pic? What magical setting did I accidentally stumble upon for the ones that are saved? HELP!! 🙂

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Confusedcreator Well that’s a cool use for typeform! What are your respondents hunting for? 
And we definitely want to be sure your event host doesn’t have a stroke! 😅 My guess is that the browser is saving their responses if they don’t submit the form (which you can read more about here), but it also depends on the user’s browser and it they have it in incognito/private browsing. 

How are your respondents accessing the form? Do you mind sending a link? 

Hey Liz! Thanks for the note. Is there a non-public way for me to share the link? I don’t think my boss would be happy sharing it with the world when it isn’t “done”. I’ll check out the browser info, but I’m just using my phone and nothing has changed since it worked before. Oh! And this is for a fun break during a convention we’re holding. They’re looking for a “bad guy” (we use him a lot in our advertising) who is trying to sabotage the fancy dinner we’re hosting later that evening. If I can just get the darn thing to consistently save pics in case they get booted off the app or lose their place, I’m golden!! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Confusedcreator - i took a look at the form (thanks for the link) and tested a couple of scenarios  - seemed to work fine both in straight through mode and with a shut down and restart (from a desktop) and it worked fine to have the typeform ‘persist’ cookies retain the information in the cache

i do know that many folks enable “don’t track me” functions on their devices - either through privacy settings or through vpn/apps - that will not retain the details that are entered into a form if they exit. 

and, @Liz , if i remember correctly, there are some image formats that don’t work with the file upload function very well… i know someone posted in the community about this a while back but that too could be a problem… 

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Confusedcreator this sounds like such a fun thing to do, would you be up for telling us how it goes if you manage to get everything working? I would love to hear about it and maybe see the finished form if you’re able to share after the event is finished! 🤗