Answered

Time restriction to move onto next question

• 15 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to build a “question per day” survey that stretches over a long period of time. To do this, I was hoping to block a survey respondent from moving onto the next question until either A) the next calendar day has arrived, or B) a certain amount of time has passed (e.g. 12 hours). Is this possible with Typeform?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 15 July 2022, 16:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Lingostar.ai - this is something that you CAN do if you are sending emails out to everyone with the ‘daily prompt’ to address today’s question- i’ve done this for a 10-day and 100-day sequence using the method below:

• create a hidden variable in the form called v_day
  • in the url to the typeform in my daily email prompt, i add the hidden field to the url  ie #v_day=one&email={{subscriber.email}}  (i add the email address i know who is coming in..and and you use extract that from your ESP/CRM will change the syntax)
  • in the typeform, i use the logic rules for hidden fields to determine where to start ie
    • if v_day = one then go to q1
    • if v_day = two then go to q2
    • if v_day = three then go to q3 
  • then on each question i put in place an ‘always go to ending X’ statement

it’s a bit of a slog to put the logic rules in place at the start but once it is done it works a treat. 

in your email sequence, set up the daily mail to go out and make sure you set up the v_day variable to point to the correct day.. 

(i have a 365 day writing challenge that i use this for as well.. )

cheers

des

Userlevel 1

This is a super helpful response, Des. Thank you!!!

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough do you know if this logic could work somehow with an embedded survey in a web app using the Embed SDK toolkit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough do you know if this logic could work somehow with an embedded survey in a web app using the Embed SDK toolkit?

sorry but that is beyond my scope of ability/understanding

@picsoung @mathio - something you folks can comment on??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think you could use the same approach as for sending out the emails.

Your respondents would need to submit the form each day, there is no way to submit the form without that.

If they stay on the page (or come back again) your custom JavaScript would reload your embedded typeform with new value for the hidden field. This would display next question (given you setup the form as @john.desborough explained above).