Answered

Captioning challenges when duplicating VideoAsk

• 19 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We need to create two identical surveys in VideoAsk, one in English and one in Spanish.

I duplicated the English VideoAsk that we developed to create the Spanish version. The English version had two videos with English closed captions. In the Spanish version, I pasted in the Spanish text into the caption editor.

Somehow, this changed the captions on the English version to Spanish... why??? How can we fix this so that we have English captions for our videos in the English VideoAsk, and Spanish captions for our videos in the Spanish VideoAsk?

This is time sensitive- advice would be very much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by andrew_videoask 19 January 2023, 21:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Davin, thanks for sharing your question here!

Captions are linked to the video file itself, rather than the videoask.

You’ll want to re-upload the same video (so that VideoAsk sees it as a “different” video). Then you can independently edit the captions for the English and Spanish version.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I see. Is there any way to revert and preserve our English captions that were overwritten? They are not based on a transcript; we had to manually type them in as the video is in American Sign Language.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Davin Unfortunately, if the Spanish captions were already written in their place and saved, I’m afraid there’s no way to recover them.