Answered

Show video, audio and text buttons before user hits play?

• 22 June 2023
  • 7 replies

We have a Video Ask embed on this page - it gets embedded in a more mobile-layout due to the two-column layout of the page:

https://america250.org/share-your-story/

Right now, the blue 'Video', 'Audio' and 'Text' buttons only show after you click 'Play' on the video.

We're finding users are having trouble knowing they can share - is it possible to show those buttons on the screen even before the user hits the 'play' button on the video with this setup? 

icon

Best answer by Grace 5 July 2023, 10:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jason Y. welcome to the community and thanks for sharing the link here, amazing to see VideoAsk being used to collect stories to celebrate America’s 250th anniversary! 

When you embed a videoask that has an open-ended answer type as the first step (so the video/audio/text option) it doesn’t show the buttons until you start playing. I believe it’s set that way as in theory you should watch the video before responding. 

If the videoask has a button answer type, or multiple choice options the buttons will appear before you press play. 

If you’re worried about people not sharing their stories maybe you could add in a different first step with a button answer type that has a CTA like “Share your story here” and then have the second step with the options to record a message. 

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any more questions, and let us know how you get on with the project! 

Thank you Gracy!

I tried adding a “button” type answer as a first question, but unfortunately, as soon as I added a video to that section, it had the same behavior - I had to press play on the video. See a rough example here:

If i don’t actually add the video to step 1, then the button shows, but it’s not terribly attractive, because there is no background I can set - instead it shows an image that looks like television static.

Maybe I’m missing a step? If you think so, or if you have any other ideas, I’d love your help! Thank you!

Best,

Jason

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jason Y. 

Hmm ok this has me stumped, I’m going to take it to our developers and try to find out what the rule is for getting the buttons to show on the autoplay. Will let you know as soon as I have more info!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jason Y. just to double check, have you used the delay interaction feature in the step? 

Under the answer tab there’s an option to delay interaction which delays the buttons from appearing. Just wanted to check you haven’t used this in your setup of this videoask.

Hi Grace,

We have not used that setting. Ultimately, we’re going to re-create this video-ask and the various content for it to work around the issue. If you have any further update though, I would love to hear about it.

And noting that despite sending repeated notes to the official support channel as long as back as June 20th, I never did hear back from anyone within the support group directly, so I’m grateful for your response.

Best,

Jason

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jason Y. thanks so much for confirming, I didn’t think that was the case but wanted to rule it out as we investigate. I will keep looking into this and see if we can come up with a solution for you. 

I’m going to send you a direct message about the support issue, I want to ask for your email so I can check what happened to your messages, so keep a look out for a DM!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jason Y. after some investigating it seems like this could be a bug, as there isn’t any consistency on when the buttons appear in an embed. I’ll be following the process and let you know once our engineers have been able to find a fix