developers

🚨 Attention all developers! Upcoming Webhook payload changes

🚨  Attention all developers! Upcoming Webhook payload changes
Userlevel 1

Hi Typeform Community!

I’m Dmytro, a Senior Product Manager here at Typeform responsible for sharing and embedding experience, API, SDK and webhooks. 

Many of you have expressed feedback about our webhooks here in the community, and we’ve listened to your requests! 

We are working on adding more information to the webhook payload when forms have a choice question (Multiple Choice, Picture Choice or Dropdown). This means that forms with choice questions will send the “ref” of the selected choices.

The array of answers will now contain the choice “ref” as part of the “choice” or “choices” sections, depending whether multiple selection is toggled on.

This change will help you better identify which choice was selected, instead of having to rely on labels, and then map that information to your systems.

We recommend developers to check their webhook payload validation and make sure that the new field will not trigger any validation errors.

An example of the new payload can be found below:

{
"answers": [
{
"type": "choices",
"choices": {
"labels": [
"Choice 1 label",
"Choice 2 label"
],
"refs": [
"4e224000-9ca6-46ae-9ea5-bd1ce4d0106d",
"c1425d5c-64d0-4e1b-b4b2-5a4232954442"
]
},
"field": {
"id": "PNe8ZKBK8C2Q",
"type": "multiple_choice"
}
},
{
"type": "choice",
"choice": {
"label": "Choice label",
"ref": "123456-456-4ae2-8224-645656565"
},
"field": {
"id": "k6TP9oLGgHjl",
"type": "dropdown"
}
}
]
}

If you have any feedback, questions or comments, drop them in the thread below!

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you @Dmytro M and kudos to the team for building this! 👏

Developers would be delighted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Mikkel @makle @PaJones @nickola @bandofboats @Dcentralab @beatzoid @richard m @jakefurler @tom.wf you might all be interested in this!

This change broke the Typeform integration with Zoho Flow, and thus, all of the configured Flows that our business relies on.

Here’s a snippet of the data Zoho Flow receives:

{
"event_type": "form_response",
"event_id": "01H7E023V1AG2EZJYNNCXEAGBM",
"uiXalKKDpxwd": "short text answer",
"3u1OJZu4NRdZ": "long text answer"
"AQmwdnxvXbVH": "7beb317e-6808-4dfe-9e4c-b48c306dee19,IZo2iQiUqb4q,Q1 choice 1",
"54C4TKWzLkqS": "01H7DZNK41KX3CMZHVZ8AG5APB,3E8qvlu8xVVP,Q2 choice 2",
}

Previously, the data for multiple choice answers only included the label. Now, you can see the answer includes the ref, id, and label as a single string, eg. “7beb317e-6808-4dfe-9e4c-b48c306dee19,IZo2iQiUqb4q,Q1 choice 1

We use this data in our email notifications, support tickets, etc., which has created a bit of havoc.

I understand that the onus is on Zoho to fix this -- I’m reaching out to their support team, but can you also escalate this with their development team? I suspect you’ll get an answer much quicker!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tagging @Dmytro M for this!

It looks like Zoho fixed this, all good now - thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear, @kcep ! Thanks for sharing that update. 

Badge

Hello there,

love the feature! Is there any chance I can change the “ref” of the choices in the typeform? I can only find the ref for the questions, not the choices in the “Block references”.

Thanks for your help 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don’t believe it’s possible to change the answer references, but @mathio may be able to confirm!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @saphiron you can do that via API at the moment.

The steps are the same as editing matrix question refs in this thread:

I have just came across similar problem (not having the ref for choices in the webhook payload) and I  found this thread. However, if I understood correctly, this should have been implemented already, but I don’t see it in my payload (fresh example from today):

Is this live already? Or have I misunderstood something?

Hello @Tomek Wilczak , that was indeed a bug that should be fixed already.

Thanks for reporting!

Hello,

@sergi.ferriz awesome, I’ll test it out tomorrow. Thanks for the update!

Badge

I don’t believe it’s possible to change the answer references, but @mathio may be able to confirm!

Hey @Liz and @mathio I would love to see this as a feature. Here is a little bit of a background: We use the same questions of a form in different languages. Therefore I set up one form for each language. I use the same webhook-url in order to combine the answers in our CRM system. In order to make the setup easier it would be awesome to change the answer-refs so I don’t have to work with a lot of choice-ids form every form.

Even better would be: Make it possible to use one single form for different languages :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks so much for sharing that context, @saphiron !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @saphiron, right now you can update question refs via API only - see this thread for details.