Answered

Integration with Google sheets

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone!

I’ve got a question related to the integration with Google Sheets.

We do have a live Survey (approx 1300 records - so less than the 3000 limit) which should be sending all new responses onto Google sheets.

It worked and apparently still works but missed sending across a couple records (basically the number of responses on Typeform do not coincide with the one on Google sheets).

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by Liz 30 March 2021, 18:43

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Elisa Reinaudo thanks for stopping by! Sometimes the integration won’t properly work if one of the following events occur on the Google Sheet:

• Change the headers of the document
  • Integrate the same form in two different Google sheet URLs instead of the same Google sheet document
  • Integrate two forms in the same tab
  • Delete tabs on the sheet
  • The target sheet has the same name as the typeform

Do you happen to know if any of these are the case for your Google Sheet?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @Liz 
As for what I see, I feel the headers might have been formatted with text-wrapping to go onto another line (I assume for them to be readable) - I am saying this based on the fact so far all docs synced with Typeform I’ve seen have headers in overflow and this one differs. Could it be the cause?
In case it is, what should we do? Would it be a matter of re-doing the connection, importing all responses onto a brand new worksheet? If so, is it enough to turn the toggle off and then back on, setting a new file on Google and importing all responses in there?
The document per se is spilling the raw data onto another tab called ‘consolidated’ that basically returns the data in a more user-friendly way and does some calculations on top of it.
We already had some issues with the 2 tabs no syncing properly and the need of manually extending formulas at regular intervals. That got somehow fixed by setting up reminders and changing the refresh time for the document within settings.
Do let me know your thoughts on this :)
Many thanks for your help!
E.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Elisa Reinaudo Text-wrapping the headers shouldn’t cause the issue, but to be on the safe side, I would suggest removing the current document and adding a new document without making any changes to the new document. You can then choose the option to backfill the data and the new responses will fill in right under that. 

Let me know if that doesn’t work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Elisa Reinaudo - from a user here.. 

are you using the arrayformula function and vlookups on the google sheets - as opposed to copying formulas down the columns??> 

this was an error that i was making initially as i was trying to add data into a reporting tab on google sheets - by using the above mentioned functions, along with some if() statements, i was able to eliminate that problem.

I also got around the long field names by ensuring that created a second tab of every google sheet integration where i renamed the column headers ‘more logically’ for me (ie q1a, q1b, q2a, etc...) and using that in the reporting.. I leverage a google addin called Document Studio as well… jic. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Elisa Reinaudo - from a user here.. 

are you using the arrayformula function and vlookups on the google sheets - as opposed to copying formulas down the columns??> 

this was an error that i was making initially as i was trying to add data into a reporting tab on google sheets - by using the above mentioned functions, along with some if() statements, i was able to eliminate that problem.

I also got around the long field names by ensuring that created a second tab of every google sheet integration where i renamed the column headers ‘more logically’ for me (ie q1a, q1b, q2a, etc...) and using that in the reporting.. I leverage a google addin called Document Studio as well… jic. 

cheers

des

Hey Des, thanks for the tips on this issue, quite helpful. A question for you as I’m in the same situation:

On the second sheet where you’re editing the long field names down, how is the header being populated? I know editing anything in a destination range for an array can break things. So, are you just pulling row B (responses) and down with a function, and then manually adding your short header titles in row A? Or is there a function to pull in the headers that allows editing?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

On the second sheet where you’re editing the long field names down, how is the header being populated? I know editing anything in a destination range for an array can break things. So, are you just pulling row B (responses) and down with a function, and then manually adding your short header titles in row A? Or is there a function to pull in the headers that allows editing?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

@MCSims - if i said brute force, meaning manual entry for the column headers 

I have provided two images below - the first of the typeform entry tab, one cell highlighted to show that the question is long (as they are all long and make no sense looking at the whole thing (as you know). I have also shown the array of tabs that have for this sheet to show you the reporting tab, where i pull in data from a the other tabs to add value to the report that is autogenerated and mailed out to the respondent 

here’s the first image - click it to expand so that you can read it lol

Note the first column is question where i ask them to select an industry sector from the list if they want to get comparative data for that sector in the report (you will see an industry tab there as well that has the data i pull into the reporting tab based on the user input)

The second image is from the reporting tab, and show the custom column/field names that used - yes manually entered and, in this case, they correspond to question groups and the questions inside that group. You will also note that the text ‘answers’ for the questions are converted to a numeric result on the reporting tab so that i can do a bunch of rating calculations. The arrayformula() for the conversion of the text string/answers is shown based on the cell highlighted - just to give you an idea of how i use that function to auto-populate the rows into the reporting tab based on new entries arriving in the main tab. 

all the formulas for getting the data and converting it into something useable (for my purposes) are driven off the first column and this is the formula in A2 =arrayformula('Data Governance - Quick'!A2:A)

so you can change the tab name from what you see to your own if that works for you. 

hope this gets you one step further. 

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you so much for the detailed response, kind of you to take the time. I see how you’re doing it now, using a manually created header and the array to automatically feed the results below. I guess the thing to watch out for with this approach is that if a question is added (or removed) from the form, the array formula’s range should pick it up in the results, but you’d have to manually adjust the header row to re-align things.

Certainly no turn key solutions available, but doable with some engineering. 

Thanks again,

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MCSims - there are some things to watch for that include new/deleted fields in your typeform.

what i have seen to date (at least for my forms) is that when i add a question, and publish, the field is updated at the end/far right of the connected google sheet. then all i have to do is map it into the structure of the reporting tab and update any outputs, transforms etc - it all depends on what you are doing with that new data in anything pre-existing. 

sometimes i have had to turn off the integration and create the google sheet  again - i will typically give it a new name ie sheetname_2 - then i will copy additional tabs from the existing data set and make any adjustments to the reporting tab headers 

after you go through the process a couple of times, it doesn’t take more than a medium coffee to replicate and update the tabs. 

autogenerating new column headers for reporting tab in this fashion would require some work with data-dictionary concepts and some advanced macros to map survey question text to input header location and then to the appropriate short names and the order you want them presented in the second tab. It could be done but i don’t have the mind space to work on that before i retire lol. 

(and i really don’t want to have to troubleshoot the typos in creating the arrayformula lookups with a 30 word question as the comparator. call me lazy lol)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yes, quite a few considerations. Thank you again for all the details on what you’ve seen.

I’ve recently begun a new project with the same basic set up: master sheet with the raw data coming in, and then analysis sheets pulling out things via lookups, queries, etc. Working well so far, I’ve been trying to break it intentionally by changing typeform questions, and messing around with the master sheet column headers, but so far it’s been pretty resilient.

M.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone!
Glad you guys took the time to tackle the issue and I am also happy to see so many responses in here.
My main issue was (and actually is on another project) I was seeing a number of answers on typeform results and that was not reflected within the Google sheet I had as per integration set up.
On the project I was referring to in this thread, the cause could definitely have been somebody formatting the sheet on the page they were not supposed to but on the project I am currently running, I still have the issue but nobody has put their hands.
So I do see 2,290 answers on Typeform and 2265 on Google Sheets.
What could the reason be?
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Elisa Reinaudo Glad to hear from you! :) If someone was formatting the sheet, this can definitely cause an issue with the results and is most likely the reason why you’re not seeing accurate data. If you haven’t already, I would suggest connecting with a new sheet so you have all the responses in one place. 

Let us know if that doesn’t work!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Liz  I had the same issue on 2 projects.
First one had been edited so you know, you were 100% right :)
Second one...the numbers do not coincide, the survey is over and the file has not been touched!
Not sure what to think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Elisa Reinaudo - i had someone comment to me about a somewhat similar issue a while back, and what had happened was the following:

• created typeform and had 20 testers who provided something like 50-60 responses during test phase on published typeform connected to google sheet
  • deleted all the test data from the google sheet
  • launched typeform with clients - roughly 500 clients invited to participate
  • 400 +/- clients responded 
  • typeform reported 45x-46x responses and google sheet only 400-ish

the excess responses were test results that were not deleted from the typeform results tab before the survey began so the count was higher. 

In their case, it accounted for the differences .. not sure it that might be the case at your end.. 

just a thought

cheers 

des

•  
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @john.desborough  and @Liz 
Always adding to this thread, I’ve noticed some unexpected blanks (empty cells) despite some fields being mandatory.
(Neither the same survey nor a file that had been manipulated - recalling what you guys initially told me I’ve never ever touched anything again on any connected spreadsheet - I am now always referring back to the spreadsheet and manipulating it on another file).
I need to do some calculations over these data and those blanks make no sense and might skew the interpretation.
Would you mind helping me with this, please?
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Elisa Reinaudo - would you be able to share a screen shot of the ‘result’ for both the spreadsheet and from the results tab in typeform, where there are empty fields in the spreadsheet. trying to check to see that the data for the same response is mirrored between the two locations. after that it would be good to be able to see/test the form and check the results with you, if you are willing to share. 

des