Answered

MailChimp integration & Automations

• 1 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi - I recently set up a MailChimp integration in order to automate an email send. The user’s journey should look like this:

1. User fills out a Typeform in order to access a download
  2. Once complete, the typeform-mailchimp integration places a tag on this user
  3. This tag triggers a MailChimp automation which sends them an email that contains the download/other info

This is working great, except when a user fills out the form more than once. It seems that Typeform doesn’t send the tag again or MC doesn’t recognize this as a ‘new’ tag, therefore the automation isn’t triggered. I do have “Contact repeats journey” clicked within MC to allow user’s to receive the email more than once.

Is it possible within this integration for a user to receive an automated email more than once?

Thanks,

Holly

icon

Best answer by hmurray 5 June 2023, 22:39

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @hmurray Do you mind sharing a screenshot of your journey in Mailchimp? Thanks in advance!

@Liz - screenshot above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @hmurray ! It looks like everything here is setup correctly. Are the contacts getting that tag added? If so, it might be worth reaching out to Mailchimp to see why they’re not going through this journey. 

If they’re not getting tagged, then our tech team can take a closer look at how you have the integration setup in the builder by contacting them through email here. 

@Liz - Yes, they are getting tagged correctly and the user does receive the automated email the first time they fill out the form. I believe the problem lies in the fact that Typeform can not tag a user the second time, or rather Typeform sends the tag to MC, but MC has already tagged that user so they are not sent into the automation again.

I was interested to see if anyone else has a similar problem and if there was a workaround. I will reach out to MC and see if they have any ideas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @hmurray I see what you mean. Our updated Mailchimp integration should be able to tag the user if they aren’t already tagged. Though, if they were tagged previously, I see why that wouldn’t update in Mailchimp then. 

One thing I can think of would be to use Zapier as well, specifically their Filter feature. Then, you could filter the respondent to see if they’re already tagged. If they’re not, you could add an additional tag/update the contact/etc so they could run through the journey again. 

Hi @Liz - I reached out to Mailchimp and they suggested adding a trigger within the journey that would remove the tag after completion. Upon testing, this looks to be successful as the user can then be tagged numerous times.

And for anyone looking to do the same thing - I also added an event to add them to a Group so that I could easily re-market to them at any time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh duh! That’s a great idea, @hmurray . Thank you so much for sharing this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@hmurray - one thing you might want to do, before deleting the tag, is to assign a tag that says something like tagname+1 so that you have a ‘record’ of the fact that they did actually do it once.. and then remove the tag. this way the next time they submit, you can check for tagname+1 and if it exists already add tagname+2 to the client record so that you know they did it twice.. etc. 

i know it sounds a bit redundant but if you want to keep track of how many times they actually submit it might make sense to either use multiple tags as above or another custom field that you increment by 1 each time they submit.. 

just some thoughts.. 

des