Answered

Mailchimp integration for existing contacts and no required email

Hi all

I would like to send our existing supporters a survey via email and then use different tags depending on their responses to add to their Mailchimp accounts (ie as explained in step 6 here). However, it looks like I can’t use the native integration because:

1. It will all be existing rather than new contacts
  2. I don’t want to ask for their email again, so can’t use a required email field (which is needed for the native integration) - I was planning to use hidden fields to be able to link the answers to the email addresses.

I’ve tried setting up the tagging integration with Zapier but couldn’t find a way how to do that. So I was wondering if anybody had any advice how I can do this instead?

icon

Best answer by Michaela 7 May 2021, 11:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @SarahS ,that’s a truly interesting use case you have here :nerd:

You’re totally right about using hidden fields to achieve this! Let me show you how you’d go about doing this with Integromat.

Stage 1: Typeform, Mailchimp

1. Create a Typeform form with a hidden field ‘email’.

YfYQMhYHveO66sTWluX87yCsA7ztMuFaVXP90SgfMPtye9xQ0fOiH0G9GHpfp60nJpI9WpNWyhvtC48FzmdQeYYejClhR90cTUYW_cPJLDk00_3AkNY4CJcBLk7QjW6SYjVJlx1m

nIt6n9hUQy7NsXBK2K8VI4B0P0JuQr8hvNY-QptIIXVWVzfUbcKXcLoiVFUJvmnhruKKYzwf1Cz0XBgqQeYcUeBJAwVIDN5y5k8QrtLMd3Ww-CReozJbRZOyDoNWWBGy5oHNkc-M

1. Create a Mailchimp campaign for the email list you want to send the survey to.

2. In the email of the campaign, you need to add the link to the Typeform form together with the #email (=extension at the end of the link). At the end of the extension, you need to add a Mailchimp merge tag so the email of the person you are emailing automatically gets appended to the link. The final dynamic link will look something like this:

**<https://example.typeform.com/to/p55JHg9Q#email=*|EMAIL|***>

o8TwUz3HepAP-LxMkJC5fPBfnRQeG0aKHaOiS_DEtxMTzdrVYoA3ibZcw2RnvIHDLJyN6klxLqZ6DZs0Jtx871g27wvJcxH-lQF9ce4HCVe0nciusNmhFp5Q8VQyKvd7G4SV7X9Q

Stage 2: Integromat

1. Create a new Integromat scenario and add the ‘Watch Responses’ Typeform module as a trigger. This module will receive all new responses and will have a field for the hidden email value.kC8jMTu8XfNo2I7OkxalnBwi0J6f7rXG3TytfEYPnuMLSDEavdvIGKpDE6ICd_sk3Lw8wr2chF6n5vukQZ3YMtfodm7dwW7B9QNBG0w2BYuNHBBvGQ5BvbbxDzPSv36Fq_QQh0SN

2. Add the ‘Add/Update Subscriber’ Mailchimp module that will take the data from Typeform and update a subscriber with the same email.

1. Finally, you can extend this scenario with multiple conditional routes. You could then set up some logical expressions that would assign different tags to a Mailchimp subscriber based on the answers they submitted in their Typeform.

(Side note: If you’d like to see a tutorial on how to achieve the final step, let me know :relaxed:)

Happy Friday! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Michaela great answer !! thanks for sharing

des

Hi @Michaela

thanks that’s helpful. It’d be great if you had a tutorial or instructions on how to achieve the last step! I got how to get a general tag (ie ‘survey taken’), but not sure how to do the conditions, so if they answer question 1 with ‘a’ and question 2 with ‘c’, they’re tagged ‘1a’ and ‘2c’ etc. (I’ve also never used integromat before, so sorry if this is somewhere obvious!)

Thanks
Sarah

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey again @SarahS :wave:

My colleague Dimitris actually made a step-by-step tutorial to guide you through this because he’s simply awesome :heart:

Have fun playing around with this :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Michaela - i wish there was an upvote on here lol.. well done by team Integromat

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough, thank you very much, dear sir, I’ll certainly pass this on to everyone involved :relaxed:

@Michaela, apologies for the late reply, I got pulled away with other work and was only able to watch this now. The video is amazing, super helpful, thank you so much! It looks like it explains exactly what I need - I will have a play around with it and let you know if I have any other questions.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @SarahS, lovely to hear from you!

Glad you find the video helpful :blush: Have fun playing around with the scenario, good luck and let us know how it went! 

Have a great weekend, everyone!