Answered

Tracking UTM against Typeform Form Submission in GA

• 4 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello - we are directing people from our Facebook ad with a UTM to our landing page (meetgenie.co). People then need to hit APPLY before they are taken to an embedded Typeform. Our UTM parameters drop when people go from the landing page to the embedded form homepage. 

We have a Typeform / GA integration set up but I am not able to track the UTM campaign details against our Form Submission Goal in GA. 

Is there any way to resolve this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by mathio 5 April 2022, 18:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Weemanpro Happy Monday! Are you correctly passing the UTM information into the embedded form? If you’re not quite sure, the video below can walk you through the set up!

Hi - we aren’t currently passing the UTM through typeform. So what I am wondering is whether through a GA integration should in GA in theory be able to match the traffic to this site by UTM with a typeform complete / typeform submit event. OR will the only way for UTM details and Form Complete goal / event show up in GA is by passing the UTM through our typeform? Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Weemanpro I think the best thing first would be to pass the data through Typeform so Google Analytics can pick up on it. 

@mathio you don’t happen to have any further insights on this, by chance? 

Thanks Liz.

The challenge is that in order to get the UTM into typeform (because users will hit an intermediary page before going to the embedded form) is that we will either need to change the embedded form to a pop-up or implement quite a significant piece of custom coding to pass the UTM parameters around wherever a user travels on our site.

I am just trying to work out if I can do this UTM tracking in GA with the standard GA / Typeform integration. I don’t need to track a UTM against a specific form submission. I just need to see in GA how many form submissions there have been against a specific UTM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Liz and @Weemanpro 

I can see when you click the “Apply” button that the UTM param is not preserved in URL.

1. I visit your page, eg. like this: https://www.meetgenie.co/?utm_source=foobar
  2. When I click the “Apply” button, the UTM param is no longer preserved in URL: https://www.meetgenie.co/nice-to-meet-you/
  3. In your embedded form you should define transitive search params (as data-tf-transitive-search-params) to load the value from your page URL (instead of data-tf-hiden option)

Of course you dont need to preserve those params in URL, if you have them stored somewhere else for your user session. In that case I suggest you use our embed SDK to pass the values via JavaScript.