Answered

Trigger Email for Abandoned Forms

• 7 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I need to set up an auto trigger so that people are emailed to complete their forms if they don’t submit. I don't see any option, and also I can’t see the partically completed forms in the backend either (only the stats on how many completed)

Thank you,

Carmen

icon

Best answer by Harsh 9 July 2023, 21:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @CMorin Thanks for stopping by! Since we don’t collect any information that isn’t submitted on the form, we wouldn’t have this feature available. Though, if you’re a coding type of person, you may be able to set up something like this by tracking cookies. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi @CMorin 

To add onto @Liz  suggestion, you could setup 2 Typeforms.

The first Typeform will simply ask the user’s their email and embedded onto your site via the Typeform SDK.

On the “onSubmit” callback  of the first Typeform redirect  your user to your server and pass the response id along with it.

On your server make an entry in your database with 3 values “response id”, a “random unique value”, and the “current time”

Redirect the user to the second Typeform (which is also embedded onto your website) and set the previous “random unique value” as a cookie, local storage etc etc (basically anywhere on the user’s browser storage) .

On the “onSubmit” callback of the second Typeform make an Ajax call to your server passing the “random unique value”

Then on your server invalidate the entry in your database where this “random unique value” exists

You will thus be left with only those “random unique value”’ in your database of the people who have not completed the second Typeform.

As result you could have a cron job running every hour on your server which checks for all entries older than an hour.

The cron job would retrieve those user’s responses (i.e their email) via the response id and send them a remainder email.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@CMorin - I’ll add a bit that might also help: if you are sending from a crm or esp, you could ‘return’ a tag/variable to the crm (using an integration from Typeform native or via Zapier) that would only arrive on submission of the form.  

in your crm/esp you probably have the ability to put some automation, that would allow you to look for the tag, say ‘form A completed” and to email everyone in your target group who does NOT have the tag with a reminder email (complete with link to form) to take the form. 

You would need to drive that outside typeform 

also, as @Harsh mentions, you can split your form into smaller components if there are reasons’ why people abandon the form and where, based on the insights from the Typeform data, this may be happening.. maybe submitting just before works well. 

just a couple of thoughts

des