Answered

Typeform Form submission Event tracking with GA4

I have a typeform in a website.I have to track this form submissions in Google analytics we need to integrate typeform with GA.

The current Typeform integration is not possible for GA4. It's possible only in GA3 (Universal Analytics)

hence we are planning by implementing DLs to track these events in GA4, Event 1. on every submit of your typeforms Event 2. Each time your respondent answers a question.

So,It is possible to Implement data layer in GA4 to track events? If YES then how can i achieve this?

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 August 2022, 16:22

View original

49 replies

We direly need to track TF conversions in GA4. It’s hard to recommend Typeform as a marketer, to a marketer, otherwise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello, all!! Coming in with EXCITING NEWS!

The Google Analytics integration now supports GA4. 

If you’re already connected to Google Analytics, you may need to remove/re-add the integration to connect. 

If you run into any trouble, please let us know!

Thanks for reacting so fast! do we have to use the GA4 code to get it to work?

I did wanna share our workaround in the meantime - creating a new Tag in Google Tag Manager and creating a custom event that way. But will give this a spin!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @STEPfix You will need to enter your Google Analytics tracking code in here: 

so if you already have it integrated, you will need to disconnect/reconnect. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello, all!! Coming in with EXCITING NEWS!

The Google Analytics integration now supports GA4. 

If you’re already connected to Google Analytics, you may need to remove/re-add the integration to connect. 

If you run into any trouble, please let us know!

Thanks for the great news Liz!

Do they show up as event in GA4? what’s the event’s name? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have this setup already! the problem is that although the tag is fired in the GTM preview mode but it won’t show up in GA4 debug view at all. The stranger thing is that after a few days the event is showing up in GA4 report but the event count is not even close to the reality. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @HC Marketing can you share the link to your Typeform so we can take a look? 

The Typeform GA integrations makes it seem like you guys support GA4. After adding the measurement ID I am not seeing any TF events in GA4 events page.

1. Is this expected?
  2. TF directions do not ask for measurement IDs, I assume the integration instructions are mistaken / outdated and that the MID is intended. Is this correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ODW Could you send the URL of your form so we can take a look? Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The documentation indeed lets one think that there is an automatic GA4 tracking with the integration. 

To my knowledge, custom events need to be passed through GTM. See here:

https://www.datadrivenu.com/custom-events-google-analytics-4/

https://www.getfishtank.com/blog/track-events-google-analytics-4-and-google-tag-manager

Hello,

Can we get updated instructions to setup GA4 please, we’re new to this and require some hand holding.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @akram_uk You can find instructions for integrating with Google Analytics here. If you need help setting up GA4 in your Google Analytics account, this article here may help. 

@Liz could you please clarify once and for all if/how to track events in GA4?

As mentioned by multiple people, the integration does not work. Even if we follow precisely the instructions and add the GA4 code in the form integration, events are not properly recorded in Analytics.

Do we need to add events on top via GTM? How can we set a trigger?

Thank you a lot for your help!

@All, I might have found a solution.

The Typeform integration didn’t work for me: even if I set the GA4 ID in the tool, events were not recorded.

So I re-installed the entire thing manually following this instructions: 

Now in debug more, events seem to be recorded properly

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks so much for sharing this, @Roberto !

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The Typeform integration didn’t work for me: even if I set the GA4 ID in the tool, events were not recorded.

This is AMAZING. thanks for sharing this, Roberto!
I’ve already implemented Typeform tracking with this method and all looks good. I’ll post an update in a week or two.

I see the updated posts now. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This is AMAZING. thanks for sharing this, Roberto!
I’ve already implemented Typeform tracking with this method and all looks good. I’ll post an update in a week or two.

I have run this for about 10 days and so far everything work fine. I get all the submissions events to my GA4 property, the same for form view and form start. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@HC Marketing Thank you SO much for sharing this and an update on how it’s been going for you! Glad it’s working. 

Hi - how can we see the form id and the questions in GA4 - aka what was before in UA (Event Category - form id and Event Label - questions)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ivana Happy Wednesday! I hope you’re having a great week so far. 

To find the events: 

Reports > Engagement > EventsOur custom events (TypeformQuestionPassed and TypeformSubmit) contain:
event_category: formId
value:title of the question / form

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @Ivana ! We have a public facing article now about this in our Help Center! You can find it here

Hi Roberto, I think I’ve lost something, the video explain how to install iframe tracking with Google Tag Manager, do you installed GA4 in typeform with GTM?

Badge

Hi all!

I’ve developed a customized version of Typeform tracking.

Here’s the details if some of you want to give it a try.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/solving-frustrations-typeform-gagtm-tracking-elegant-giovani/