Answered

Validate input on short text

• 29 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I would like to validate input of a short-text using webhook. This webhook would be an Azure Logic App, that internally calls Licess API (yes, it would be a chess quiz TypeForm :grinning: ). 
I have seen some posts like “Feature to provide phone number” touching this subject.
Where I am a bit stuck is how should the webhook send info back in order to know Typeform, that the submitted data of a question was not correct. Documentation explains that webhook should return 2xx HTTP codes. But how about if the response is not accepted? Is there a specific format to report back such info? Like a 4xx response with some message?

Thanks in advance,
Laci

icon

Best answer by Liz 29 September 2021, 16:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @m_laci Thanks for stopping by the community! I’m afraid it’s not possible at this time to validate information live in the form as the form is being filled out, though I can share this suggestion with our product team. 

If you have any other questions or suggestions, please let us know. 

Thank you @Liz for your prompt reply. 
I kind of assumed this would be possible, and that on every time one hits OK, the call would go out to the webhook. Tested out and I see now that the call will only be made on the last question, when the form says Submit.

Additionally,  I had to publish the form, and use one out of 10 precious results I can use for evaluation purpose. Would be nicer if this webhook integration would work in Preview mode as well. 

Although I got excited by TypeForm, currently does not fit my purposes. Looks like a great product, so it is unfortunate. But who knows, maybe in the future I can use it for other purposes. 
Kind regards,
Laci

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@m_laci Thanks for the feedback! I’ll pass this along to our product team, and if you think of any other questions for us, let us know. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @m_laci,

This would be a neat usecase, sadly currently our typeforms are “static” at the moment they render. There is no way to interrupt the question flow to make an external API request.

But if you were to breakdown your form into multiple parts you can redirect the user as the end of the form, check their answer, and then redirect them to the next section and eventually provide feedback on their move.

so it could look like

typeform #1 → redirect to Azure URL → (inside Azure) call Lichess API → redirect user to typeform #2