Answered

Widget on free Wordpress.com site?

I've been persuading my friend to use videos for their website and spent time today getting a widget set up for their website. 

However, I’d assumed their website was Wordpress.org but it’s actually a free plan of Wordpress.com. 

You apparently can’t use plugins or iframe in that plan, so I’m assuming they can’t actually use the widget? 

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get around it (other than moving to paid plan, we’re trying to get them set up with minimal expenses!)

icon

Best answer by Grace 30 June 2022, 18:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @7pjqgfq6gs thanks for stopping by!

I’m pretty sure you need to be on a plan that allows for html or javascript code in order to embed on Wordpress. I’m just having a look now as it’s not super clear on the free plan what is and isn’t possible.

I was wondering if there was an embed by URL option, but that would only work for an iframe embed anyway I believe. Will keep doing some digging and let you know if I work anything out!

Hi @7pjqgfq6gs thanks for stopping by!

I’m pretty sure you need to be on a plan that allows for html or javascript code in order to embed on Wordpress. I’m just having a look now as it’s not super clear on the free plan what is and isn’t possible.

I was wondering if there was an embed by URL option, but that would only work for an iframe embed anyway I believe. Will keep doing some digging and let you know if I work anything out!

Thanks Grace, I’m glad it wasn’t just me who found that it wasn’t super clear… I appreciate you looking to see what you can find out :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @7pjqgfq6gs 

Yep, it’s a bit misleading as it seems like you can add a custom html code block on the free plan, but then nothing actually happens 😕 I’ve just been chatting with the team, and they confirmed you would need to be on a plan that allows that functionality, are they committed to using Wordpress? Maybe worth exploring some other builders, but of course if they’ve already started with it they might not want to swap. 

Sorry I couldn’t help more, hope you’re able to get a widget on the go at some point in the future! 🤞