Feedback request

Feedback requested for branding studio enquiry form

Feedback requested for branding studio enquiry form
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Typeform community!

I created an enquiry form for my branding studio about 1 month ago and have had a lot less responses that I was getting with my standard Webflow form.

I would love any feedback about anything I could improve to the form.

Thanks!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Paul Lilley Thanks for sharing this! I love the orange color. 

First quick question - how are your respondents accessing the form? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Liz! The form is in our brand colours.

The form is accessed via the contact page on our website -  https://www.ulyssesdesignco.com/contact

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paul Lilley Oh wow, your website and branding services are so cool!

I took a look at the contact page on your site and how folks get there, but I can’t see anything alarming offhand. Do you know which question respondents are dropping off in the form? You should be able to see this on the question by question insights

@James take a look at this form!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Paul Lilley 

Welcome to the Community 👋 Thanks a lot for sharing. Thought I’d share my tuppence worth based on what I’ve seen from my little perch here in the Typeform Community team in case it’s helpful...

Last year we ran a webinar on how to improve form completions. It features some data-backed insights into attributes of high converting forms, some really interesting insights from psychology professor Liz Stokoe on the science of asking for information, plus a great talk on lead gen quiz funnels from @john.desborough. It could be useful for you to a look at for context (you can grab the deck here if you don’t wanna sit through the whole thing 😜)

In terms of relating that stuff back to your particular use case, here are some musings – by no means guaranteed to be foolproof but hopefully can get you thinking about how to tinker…

1. Tell people how long it will take

We've seen that folks who include the average time taken to complete the form in their Welcome screen get a higher completion (around 17% uplift), so you might want to consider adding this (there's an option in Typeform where you can turn this on and it'll calculate average completion time for you).  

2. Placement of email question

As per @Liz ‘s suggestion, I would look at the drop-offs on the form (in the Insights section) and see if people are falling at the first hurdle where you have the email question. You might want to consider asking this nearer the end, as the respondent would be they have had the opportunity to talk about the help they need and is ergo more vested in the form.

3. Question order

Prof. Stokoe made some interesting points in her talk in the vid above (around 23m) regarding entitlement to ask certain questions and suggests that questions that are on the company's side should come after questions that are on the respondent's side. So, for example, in your case you might wanna move back the "How did you hear about us" question until further along. Again, the question drop-off analysis could help you figure out where people are stumbling. 

4. Personalisation

Our user research also indicates that personalising forms can help increase engagement and completions. Something as simple as recalling the person's name or company name or company name at a further point in the form can help to improve completion rates.

5. Lead magnets

I love that you're offering free consultancy to folks. As discussed in the webinar we've seen that Typeform customers who offer a lead magnet like this as part of their capture form get an 11% uplift in completions versus folks who don't – so you're definitely wise to be doing this. However, when filling out the form I didn't realise this offer was on the table until I was way through the questions. I think if you highlighted this from the outset you might be able to incentivise people into completing the form.

You could even find a way to route prospects to a particular lead magnet depending on how qualified they are. For example, you could offer an assessment of their needs through a quiz and then pop them some pre-made content like a webinar/guide if they are not qualified and route them to the free consultancy if they are better qualified. Here are a couple of examples of Typeform customers who are doing this well:

* David Laxer has an interesting intake typeform to whether their brand narrative and core values are aligned then routes our the ones who are not a fit for his services.

* Leander Howard from Spark my Resume routes people to a free consultation/webinar/generic email nurture flow depending on how they answer his typeform.

6. Design

I love the design of the form and the way you've incorporated your branding. One suggestion would be to add your company logo and maybe sprinkle in some of those awesome illustrations from your site to amp up the continuity even more. 

With all this being said, I thought I'd have a stab at tinkering with your form to apply all of this "theory" in practice (I’ll lap up any chance to nerd out with this stuff 🤓). Here's an example of what you might do to incorporate all this:

But more than anything I think your best starting point with all this is what @Liz recommended – looking at drop-off analysis first (assuming you have volume) and then thinking about all this other stuff and how you might apply it based on what you’re seeing. 

Hope at least some of this can be helpful!!

Cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for this feedback @James! This has been so helpful and way more than I expected. 

The revisions you made to my form are really helpful and I will build these into my design!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for this feedback @James! This has been so helpful and way more than I expected. 

The revisions you made to my form are really helpful and I will build these into my design!

@Paul Lilley = @James rocks.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow holy thank you, @James ! 

If you don’t mind sharing a screenshot of the dropoffs, @Paul Lilley , we can give some further advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for this feedback @James! This has been so helpful and way more than I expected. 

No worries @Paul Lilley - genuinely happy to help. I’m lucky enough to have spent time with folks here who really know what they’re doing with all this stuff, and it’s nice to have the opportunity to be able to share things we’ve learned – hopefully it can make difference 🤗

Keep in touch and let us know how it all goes!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I took on your feedback and also experimented with one of the Typeform lead generation templates to create a new form. I think this flows much better and incorporates some of your sage advice. 

Interested to know your thoughts now?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Paul Lilley Ahh! This form looks so good! Makes me want to go create one for a fake branding agency ha. 

I’d wait to hear @James feedback first, but I almost think it would be ok if you added the “Name” question first, and then used that throughout all the first three questions to address the respondent more personally through recalling the field. That’s just my first initial impression. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Awesome! love to hear that @Liz!

Great suggestion, I have incorporated that into the design.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow! Nice job, @Paul Lilley . I love what you've done with it. It was already a really nice form but now feels like you've slapped a nice spicy sauce on it – I'm pretty sure the changes you've made will help you increase conversions. Some thoughts:

• It feels much more like a conversation now, has a nice flow to it and feels more enjoyable to fill in.

• I love the way you've incorporated more illustrations and brand elements. Looks gorgeous 😍

• I like the way you now have that concrete next action on the end screen to manage the expectations of the respondent. 

• I think you've chosen the questions to ask wisely. Not sure how much you deviated from the template - but whatever it now feels much more like the focus of the conversation is purely centred on you finding out how you can help the potential customer, which is great!

• I like that you're recalling the first name as Liz suggested. I guess you'll need a surname field too, though right?

• Are you still planning to offer a free consultation? If so, maybe you can apply some logic to route those qualified leads (e.g. those with an urgency of 4+ or budget of 7+) to the Calendly appointment page. 

• The picture on the end screen looks a little wonky in mobile view (the guy's head is cut off!), I believe you can tweak the placement within the image settings within Typeform itself.  

• Have you thought about are you planning to incorporate this into your workflow? E.g. you could set up integrations to fire leads into your CRM and/or pop a Slack message to certain members of your team? We have a bunch of different case studies on various lead gen flows – I can point you to relevant ones if needed. 

Once again, great job on this Paul. I'm curious to know the impact your changes have in terms of the amount of responses and their quality.

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge

That's so great to hear @James! This has been so helpful.

I have implemented those suggestions and added to my site - https://www.ulyssesdesignco.com/contact

I will keep in touch and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again @Liz and @James you’ve been amazing help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No worries @Paul Lilley – we’re happy to help, it’s exciting to see your form evolve! Good luck with the changes, keep us posted.

If you don’t mind I’m gonna feature this post on the home page of our Community in case it’s helpful for others to see – you might even get some interest in your business (which looks very cool btw!!)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Awesome sounds great @James !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes yes let us know how it goes, @Paul Lilley ! Now I want to steal this idea to copy onto my website ha. If you end up integrating with anything, we’d love to know what you built and can possibly offer some suggestions there, too. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @James and @Liz,

I wanted to drop you a line to say that since I made the changes you suggested I have had 2 enquires from ideal leads in 1 week! That's a big improvement from 0 in 1 month.

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is great to hear @Paul Lilley 😁 , thanks for the update! I’m glad it’s helping – long may the leads roll in! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paul Lilley Wooo!!! Glad to hear it!! You’re inspiring me! I meant to change out one of my forms last week and ran out of time, but it’s on my to-do list for this weekend now. 😁