Answered

API to fill in answers

• 20 November 2021
  • 7 replies

I am looking to use an API to pull in some of the answers to the type form survey.

We are using it for a sales approval process/collection. A lot of the info will come from our inventory management system and want to automatically respond to some of the questions based on the data input. We can get an API feed out of our system with this info but trying to understand how we could automatically fill in the proper fields with that info in type form so we can get it into the review pipeline without reentering it several times

icon

Best answer by mathio 22 November 2021, 17:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @joshperlman 

as far as I am aware you can not load question answers from an API. However you could use Typeform Create API to update your typeform every time your data source changes. Hope that helps.

got it what I'm trying to do is we have job #’s in our inventory system and really want a live “feed” of the numbers in type form so we can select the job # and have it then answer some of the questions that we can get from the system automatically to reduce retyping nit

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Then you need a script in your inventory system that will update your typeform (via the Create API) every time the list of job numbers is updated.There is no way to fetch it on typeform side at the moment.

got it. But then there's no way once an answer is put in for the job # to answer future questions based on it?

Or would the way be to use create and load all the info needed based on the resulting job # info? so the answer shows up for each subsequent question?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could make a branching logic based on answer to the job # question. However you might need to generate this branching logic programmatically for when you add new job # to your form.

Could you be more specific in what are you trying to achieve? Do you have an example of the form you are trying to build/

Hey,

ok cool so we have job #’s which get generated in our inventory system

Some of the info we are looking to grab based on the job # would be:

Text Field: Client name

Text Field: Venue Name

Text Field: City Name

Text Field: State

Text Field: Revenue

Date Field: Start Date

Date Field: End Date

all of those fields are info that come out of our inventory system-- or can. And we would want to fill in the answers automatically based on the job # vs re-entering it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I am no expert in this field, but maybe you could only ask for job # in the form. You could keep this list synced with your inventory system via Create API.

Then you could integrate your typeform with Google Sheet and pull the info about the job from your own system into the spreadsheet with results (using eg. =IMPORTXML(...) or =IMPORTDATA(...) functions in your Google Sheet). You will most likely need to do your custom data transformation in a new sheet (tab) in order not to interfere with the integration.

Would something like this work for you?