Answered

Collect Gclid from Google Ads

Hi! 🙋‍♂️ 

Does anyone know how to collect Google Ads Gclid with Typeform?

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼!

Alberto

icon

Best answer by Liz 23 March 2021, 17:39

View original

36 replies

Badge +1

@Liz 

Hello Liz, last time I tried to reach support, I didn’t get an answer.. I just sent this message :

Here the page where the Typeform pop up is embedded: https://podform3d.com/pages/foot-pain 

I set up everything as it asked too to... 
I add the section : <a class="typeform-share button" href="https://form.typeform.com/to/PqLxgUvG?typeform-medium=embed-snippet#gclid=xxxxx"data-transferable-url-parameters="gclid" data-mode="popup" style="display:inline-block;text-decoration:none;background-color:#F3CD59;color:white;cursor:pointer;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:24px;line-height:60px;text-align:center;margin:0;height:60px;padding:0px 40px;border-radius:30px;max-width:100%;white-space:nowrap;overflow:hidden;text-overflow:ellipsis;font-weight:bold;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;-moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale;" data-size="100" target="_blank">AM I COVERED? </a> <script> (function() { var qs,js,q,s,d=document, gi=d.getElementById, ce=d.createElement, gt=d.getElementsByTagName, id="typef_orm_share", b="https://embed.typeform.com/"; if(!gi.call(d,id)){ js=ce.call(d,"script"); js.id=id; js.src=b+"embed.js"; q=gt.call(d,"script")[0]; q.parentNode.insertBefore(js,q) } })() </script>

The Gclid hidden field is activated in the settings. 
The GA integration within Typeform Is activated and connected with the good account. 
GA Goals is setted for Typeform Event properly. IN GA , the goals is always trigger right but the GCLID info doesn't follow so the SOURCE of the event is INCORRECT all the time ... so can't transmit it to Google ads after ! AND I NEED IT FOR CPC ADS !! 

1) First problem : The Source ( GCLID) is not send to GA when typeform trigger the event???

2) I tried to go around by setting a THX U page destination after the form. I add automatic redirection and pass the GCLID in the URL. I set an event goal based on the URL in GA BUT AGAIN the event is trigger correctly but the GCLID is not present so the source is not GOOD. 

Could you follow up! 

I just can’t connect Typeform to any Google products, actually. I have quite a few accounts, all linked to Google Ads, Analytics and more but not Typeform. Is the a way anyone can answer these same questions, but with a step-by-step? It is impossible to replicate all of the things because it it always like: “Do this, and then do that.” Ok. But “doing this” implies like 4 more steps that it seems to be a secret.

For exemple: 

Why cannot people just literally say what we should put here? It is always like: “Create an event in your Google Analytics account”. Ok, but... HOW? This above was just an example. The person who started this question still (I think) doesn’t know how to configure Gclid. Me neither.

I am more than happy to contribute and help around here, is there anyone that knows what to do, step-by-step, so we can configure Typeform + Google? Specially Google Ads Conversions. I would pay for that.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin Our support team let me know they responded to your email earlier today. Did you receive that email? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alberto thanks for stopping by! We don’t support Google Ads directly, you could try the following workaround first to track the events from Google Analytics. 

1. Install Google Analytics on the Typeform
2. Create a goal based on the "On Submit" Event on Typeform
3. Connect Analytics Goals To Google Ads

To actually pass in the Gclid, you would need to use hidden fields on your form. Then, I would follow the steps below to pass in data if you happen to have the form embedded on your site. 

https://community.typeform.com/developers-corner-44/faq-developer-portal-136

Does that help a bit? :grinning:

Hi @Motion Studio thanks for stopping by! I included instructions on setting this up in my first comment here. To create an event, you’ll want to follow the steps here, which will guide you based on how you’re currently setting up items in GA. Is there anywhere in these steps in particular you’re running into errors/troubles? 

Hey Liz,

I am running into a similar bug and was wondering if
1… If this is doable
2... my setup is correct.

Setup 
Sending leads from google ad words to Unbounce landing page, to embedded Typeform, then use the integration to input the lead into SF. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @UpEquity thanks for stopping by. Are you using hidden fields to pass the gclid data through unbounce and thus typeform? Any further information you could provide on your current setup would be helpful. Thanks!

Hey Liz,

Yeah, I created the hidden field and ran a test and it looks like everything worked regarding the GCLID.

Need to test a few more things but overall looks very promising. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh perfect! Glad that’s working, @UpEquity . Have you been able to setup the Salesforce integration, too?

Not yet but I do have a zap that’s connecting the two and seems to be working well. Looking at setting up the complete SF integration. waiting for our admin to check it out though first. Is there any major advantage to using the integration over the zap? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @UpEquity Got it! I’d say the biggest advantage to using the direct integration is the fact that you don’t have to use a third-party to send the data. The main downside to our native integration is that it doesn’t send the data immediately (it sends every hour), so if that’s something crucial for you, I’d stick with Zapier for the time being. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi there,

I recently managed to make this work on my end. Are you still looking to solve this?

Also: You need to gclid as part of the result from Typeform, right?