Answered

How to save webhook responses?

• 28 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi Guys!

Rather new to Typeform and have been working on Manychat to date. Could you kindly tell what is the method of saving a webhook response in Typeform to further utilise it in the forms? Let’s say I’m getting Amazon order information from Seller.Tools by Order ID and I want to use the data moving forward. E.g. saying “You’ve ordered {{product name 1}} and {{product name 2}} from us, which one would you like to order a gift for?”. What I would do in Manychat is map a webhook response to a so called custom field and use it in the wording. How could I do that in Typeform? 

I’d be grateful for any assistance :)

Adam

icon

Best answer by Liz 2 April 2021, 17:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Adam Thanks for stopping by! To help me understand this a bit better, are you trying to send the data into the Typeform through a webhook? Or send it out of Typeform through a webhook? 

If you want to use a webhook to send data into Typeform, I’m afraid this isn’t possible yet, but you can send data out of typeform using webhooks through this setup

Or, if it’s easier to explain which way you’re trying to send the data and how, that would be handy!

Hi @Liz, thanks for reaching out. Both ways actually. Let me give you exact examples.

1. I ask a user about an Amazon Order ID.
  2. I use this Order ID to GET information on the order via Seller.Tools webhook (items bought, quantities, address line 1, line 2, city etc.). So I would need to save / map this information (response) to further utilise it.
  3. Based on product a customer has bought, I’m offering a gift (let’s say you bought sheets, you can get a pillowcase as a gift). I’m using the information I got from Seller.Tools to find a list of gifts assigned to the product a customer bought. For this purpose I’m looking up a google sheet and in response I’m getting a gift category that matches a product ID.
  4. I’m showing a dynamic gallery of gifts offer with images shown by image links from the google sheet.

As you see it works both ways - so sending data from Typeform and responding with matching values.

Regards,

Adam

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Adam thank you!! I’m asking a colleague of mine on this as I don’t think is possible natively in our forms, but if there is any sort of workaround that I’m not aware of, they would know!

@picsoung 

@Liz, appreciate it. Please let me know if you come up with something. It’s also OK to use external tools integrations, incl. webview. However the main case is to be able to utilise any data grabbed from external sources, either it’s Seller.Tools, Google Sheets or anything else. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Adam I reached out to my colleague, but sadly we don’t have a way for this setup to work since it isn’t possible to make a request to an external API. You could try splitting up the form into multiple forms and using hidden fields as well as our webhooks to send data out of the form, and you can read more about our APIs/Webhooks here

@Liz , thanks for getting back. I’m not giving up that easily 😉 I was successfully able to send information from Typeform to Integromat via webhook. This way I could get data from Seller.Tools or Google Sheets in Integromat to eventually reponsond with this data back to Typeform. At least this is my understanding. If I’m right the case would be just to save these responses to hidden fields - would THIS be possible?

Some other points that came up:

• Is it possible to show a dynamic gallery? I can only see a possibility of uploading images. If it turns out it’s possible to use webhook responses I would like to filter google sheets content by user replies and show images by links from the sheets.
  • Can I make simple math calculations (decreasing by 1) with Calculator feature for Hidden Fields? These should be numbers saved from webhook response (quantity of products bought, got from Seller.Tools).
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Adam The only way to send data back into the forms currently is through hidden fields, and you can learn more about adding those to your form here

As for a dynamic gallery, the items in the form need to be set ahead of time, so it isn’t possible that I know of to set a dynamic gallery as the respondents is filling out the form. Though, it’s possible @picsoung might have a workaround that I’m not aware of. 

For your math question, would you mind sharing a bit more about what you’re looking to calculate? For example, you can add a calculation like this one below, but it would need to be associated with a question on the form. 

Thanks in advance! :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As @Liz mentioned, one workaround could be to using hidden fields.

If you feel adventurous, one way to show a dynamic gallery would be to generate unique a form per user using our Create API.

If you use the same form, then it will be problematic if two people fill the form at the same time.