Answered

Can I split my form into smaller forms

• 26 November 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello!

I have created a lengthy form but, since learning that there is no way to save a respondents data if they don’t complete the survey, I would like to spilt my form into multiple smaller parts (which I have been told can be connected together so, in theory, someone could complete all of the forms in one sitting!).

Is there a seamless way to do this with the questions I have designed and created already or will I need to make them all over again?

Thanks for your help!

Kindest,

Frankie

icon

Best answer by Gabi Amaral 26 November 2021, 17:00

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Fglace! Welcome to our Community! :wave_tone2:

I suggest you create several forms and use the redirect on completion feature to make sure they're all connected. You can read more about this feature on this article.

If you already have all of the questions in one form, I advise you to duplicate it and delete the questions you'll keep in the first form. You can do that several times until you're able to split it in how many forms you want. Then, you can use the redirect on completion feature I mentioned above to make sure your respondent will jump from one form to another, in the order you want them to do. Is that clear? 

Let me know if you're able to do that and if this solution works for you! I'm hoping it will!

Wishing you a great weekend! :blue_heart:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello! Oh great, that sounds perfect thanks for your help. I’ll give this a go today!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Fglace Were you able to get the forms split up? Let us know how it went for you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello! 

Sorry for the delay. I am actually only getting round to doing this now! 

I think I understand how to add a redirection but, and this may be a silly question, but I’m not sure how to link from on survey to another survey. Do you copy the web URL? It seems to say admin page though so I wouldn’t want people redirected there.

Thanks for your help!

Kindest,

Frankie

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Fglace Nice to hear from you. :grinning:

You can find the URL to your form like this: 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Amazing! I’ll give that a go now 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks, Liz! I think I have done that now 🙌

My next question is, now that the redirection on completion has been linked. What does this look like for the user? Some people will just exit this survey and not want to continue and some will (hopefully!) go to the next survey and I would just love to be able to see what that looks like for our users. Do I need to make multiple endings? 

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Don't forget to send us your form once you're done doing this! Very curious to see how it goes! :wink:@Fglace 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Of course! Will do 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Fglace - here’s a little sample of a form that takes long text input and passes it to a second form

just to give you an idea of what it looks like .. a simple example

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@john.desborough Thanks for this John!

I might be misunderstanding (so please accept my apologies if so!) but I didn’t quite see what I was after I don’t think.

I would basically like to preview what it would be like for our users to finish one survey and then jump to the next. Essentially is there a button they click? How is it clear to leave the survey or to jump into the next one? @Gabi Amaral 

Thanks guys!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Fglace - in that example there were two typeforms. If you could not tell that you jumped from one to the other then maybe that was a good thing??

here’s the redirection on completion link that sends the details from form 1 to form 2

and here is how i set the message on the ‘submit’ button

and in the second form i have the following hidden variables created to receive the data from the first form

if you want to start your second typeform with a welcome screen to let people know that they have arrived at another form you can.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Fglace! How are you doing today?

The explanation @john.desborough gave it here is very clear (Thank you for that!). Can you let us know if you were able to follow these steps now? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey guys!

Thank you for that helpful and clear explanation @john.desborough ! You were right, I didn’t even notice I had jumped surveys! 

Following your instructions I believe I have set the redirection on completion to my second form. Everything looks like it’s all in the right place!

However, when I preview my first form I am not able to preview the experience of jumping to my next form. When I preview my first survey and click submit it should take me to the next but doesn’t. This may be because I have not done the link correctly? Or are you only able to preview each workspace individually?

Sorry for all of the questions! I’m finding this bit a little tricky- I’m not very techy!

Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Fglace - you are correct. Preview won’t do the jump.. it stays in the one form..