Help with creating custom detailed reports from surveys (Google Data Studio?)

• 10 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello! 

Reaching our to the community here for some help, advice, insight on the best way to go about creating some detailed, custom reports/dashboards from our Typeform surveys...

Overview

• There are 4 surveys that we sent to 4 different customer segments
  • The surveys are exactly the same but just sent to different customer segments
  • The responses from each survey are collected in to four different Google Sheets

Goals

• To have an overall report/dashboard of the data from all 4 surveys in one place
  • Have this dashboard/report formatted in a way for us to easily visualize the data and create actionable insights from it
  • To be able view and filter the data in the report/dashboard by the different customer segments (e.g. the 4 different customer groups we sent the survey to)
  • To be able to modify the age and zip code data collected for more reporting flexibility (I.e. getting city and state from zip code)

Challenges

• Was hoping there might be an existing tool/platform/app that we could use to connect the data and have it easily create intuitive and actionable reports. Essentially looking to avoid the time and learning curve associated with using Google Data Studio for this
  • After doing some research, I was having a hard finding a service that would accomplish our goals (looked at things like Report Guerilla, Chattermill, EnjoyHQ, etc.). However, if there is a service out there for accomplishing this is a more intuitive, automated fashion, please let me know.
  • Given the above point, it seems like the best way to accomplish our goals is via Google Sheets + Google Data Studio (and it was THIS post that led me down this path). Unfortunately, this is not a platform I have used and in spending some time with it, I feel it would take me significantly longer to create what is needed here then someone who regularly uses Google Data Studio

Solution?

• Use Google Sheets to collect all of the survey responses
  • Use Google Data Studio to create the report/dashboard for this survey

Needs/Asks

• I could use some help with the data in Google Sheets:
    • Right now responses are in 4 separate sheets. What is the best way to get them all in to a single sheet?
    • Ages are individual numbers but it would be helpful to have this data broken out in to age ranges (ie 18-24, 25-34, etc). How could this be done?
    • We asked for the customer’s zip code in the survey. Would be helpful to extrapolate that to city and state as well so we can view location data at different levels. Is this possible?
  • Where I need the MOST help is with Google Data Studio. If there is someone in this community that does this type of work for a fee OR has worked with providers for this, please let me know. Otherwise, some initial help with the following would be a good start:
    • How to go about setting up charts/graphs that show all of the data along with the data from the different segments. For example, a line chart that shows ages from all responses as well as different lines of the ages corresponding to each of the 4 customer segments
    • How to go about setting up a filters to be able to filter responses in the report/dashboard by customer segment (note: we used different UTM parameters for each segment, so this could be used as the segment identifier for responses)

And HERE is the survey we are looking to do this with.

Thanks!

Josh

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Josh Guss Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest taking a look at our Partner portal here to find someone that can help build these items for you. 

Additionally, @john.desborough is quite skilled in the art of Google Data Studio. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Josh Guss @Liz 

Thanks for the mention @Liz  but let me clarify a bit: Yes i use Google Data Studio for some analytical purposes but not as skilled as you mentioned (tho i wish i could say i was).

For most of the Typeform work that I do, I use Google Sheets and an add-in called Document Studio (merges data and templates into Docs or Slides and converts to PDF, then emails the result)  to do most of the simple reporting that needs to be done. 

@Josh Guss: a couple of questions/comments below that might help

• is there a reason you need to pull the data from 4 sheets into 1? if you are using an analytics/reporting tool like Google Data Studio, Tableau, etc. you should be able to access the data and have the analytics tool do the aggregation for you. just a thought
  • if you need to bring them into one spreadsheet you can create a form with separate tabs to be used as targets for each of the forms and then using the arrayformula() function, pull the data from the individual forms into the tab of the ‘consolidation form’ every time a new record is added
    • from there, you could combine the data into an aggregate sheet if that is what you are needing to do 
  • you could also look at how you are connecting the typeforms to google sheets and re-Connect them to an ‘existing spreadsheet’ so that each form was pushing to it’s own tab of the one of the forms that you selected to be the ‘home’ of the forms. 
    • that way all 4 typeforms would be pushing data into the single Sheet. 

I would suggest checking with the Typeform Partners on this page to see if anyone is able to provide you a quote/proposal to do this work. 

des

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Josh Guss Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest taking a look at our Partner portal here to find someone that can help build these items for you. 

Additionally, @john.desborough is quite skilled in the art of Google Data Studio. 😊

@Liz  - the link to Partner Portal just links to a home page- Do you have a Partner Portal or freelancers list who might be able to assist in building the system we need?