Answered

Looking for a reporting add-on or tool - any recommendations?

• 23 February 2021
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

Just started to use Typeform, and where we love the interface and ease-of-use, we’re not equally impressed by the reporting capabilities. They’re pretty basic, and I’m thinking we may need an add-on tool that allows us to take the data from the survey, and do (any of) the following:

• Calculate averages based on inputs (Typeform doesn’t do this in, for example, matrix questions)
  • Add data to a pre-created reporting template (just update graphs in a preset doc)
  • Use data to calculate something else (for example, calculate NPS based on survey answers around satisfaction)

Might help to know that we’re a training business, and as such are interested in things like average/composite satisfaction scores, “jumps” in proficiency/skill from before/after training, … . Potentially, in the future, we’re also going to use Typeform for assessments (not simply surveys), meaning we need to be able to generate individualised reports, “auto filling” data based on survey input.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Liz 23 February 2021, 20:52

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@RG-EMEA 

this comes from a user of the product:

I agree with the native capabilities being not what I needed as well: thankfully they have integrations available with Google Sheets, Google Analytics, etc. which i use to do the types of/or similar calculations you discuss for my own reporting back to clients. 

There are a whole raft of integrations available - check out the Connect tab/link in the builder. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RG-EMEA thanks for joining the community and sharing info about the reporting you’re looking for! This is helpful to know. :) 

Like @john.desborough mentioned, there are quite a few integrations we have here that might help serve what you’re looking for in regards to reporting. To help narrow it down, it’s good to think about the output you’d like the reporting to have. For example, do you want the data simply in a spreadsheet? Or in a graph? If you like the idea of visual aids for the data, integrations such as Report Gorilla can help aid in the look of the data outside typeform. :) 

Hope this helps narrow the search a bit!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @RG-EMEA welcome to the community! Might I recommend you check out @Nordin 's excellent tutorial post (freshly published today):

He uses Google Sheets and Google Data Studio to build reports automatically from responses to his typeform. His is for reporting bugs for the Typeform Support team but the principle is applicable to many use cases. Have a look and see if it's helpful for what you're trying to achieve.

Userlevel 1

@James - that is an amazing resource, thanks so much sir !

This approach does exactly what I need done, and will make our regular reporting so much easier.

Literally, set (up once) and forget.

I’m tempted to join the little “use case” bandwagon that @Nordin mentions, and add a few of our own. We’re a training firm, not IT/Tech, so let me know if that would be helpful or not.

Thanks guys !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Brilliant! @RG-EMEA so pleased it does what you needed 🙂 If you have any questions as you go I'm sure the great @Nordin can assist. 

And yeah, I also love the idea of demoing what's possible with other use cases too. @Gabriel and I were saying this morning that it would be cool to do some kind of working session on Zoom where @Nordin and a customer (here's looking at you @john.desborough @RG-EMEA ) get together to walk through their use case, which we can then record and post on the community for others to learn from. WDYT Nordin? I know you have a day job and all, but possibly something for a rainy day…?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Brilliant! @RG-EMEA so pleased it does what you needed 🙂 If you have any questions as you go I'm sure the great @Nordin can assist. 

And yeah, I also love the idea of demoing what's possible with other use cases too. @Gabriel and I were saying this morning that it would be cool to do some kind of working session on Zoom where @Nordin and a customer (here's looking at you @john.desborough @RG-EMEA ) get together to walk through their use case, which we can then record and post on the community for others to learn from. WDYT Nordin? I know you have a day job and all, but possibly something for a rainy day…?

Sounds like a nice interaction with the community. Would be lovely. We’d need to know in advance what are we going to showcase and do some prep-work as the whole thing can take too long… but yeah, sounds good! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And yeah, I also love the idea of demoing what's possible with other use cases too. @Gabriel and I were saying this morning that it would be cool to do some kind of working session on Zoom where @Nordin and a customer (here's looking at you @john.desborough @RG-EMEA ) get together to walk through their use case, which we can then record and post on the community for others to learn from. WDYT Nordin? I know you have a day job and all, but possibly something for a rainy day…?

Sounds like a nice interaction with the community. Would be lovely. We’d need to know in advance what are we going to showcase and do some prep-work as the whole thing can take too long… but yeah, sounds good! 

@Nordin nice one. Let's see if we could make it happen. I notice that @john.desborough already shared some details of his use case over on the tutorial thread. Do you think this could be a starting point for working on doing a session like this (assuming Des is interested, too)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nordin nice one. Let's see if we could make it happen. I notice that @john.desborough already shared some details of his use case over on the tutorial thread. Do you think this could be a starting point for working on doing a session like this (assuming Des is interested, too)?

@James @Nordin - colour me in

Hi @Liz. I’m new to Typeform and am excited to explore various ways to employ it for my coaching business. One of the needs I have is generating a custom report in PDF form with graphs and text that’s customized based on the client’s responses to the form, automatically emailing it to the client upon submission. I’m familiar with ReportGorilla, but they charge per report and do not appear to have a subscription model. For a solopreneur like me looking to use free assessments as a lead generation tool, ReportGorilla pricing is out of the question.

It would be amazing to see Typeform offer these capabilities natively, particularly given your product's beautiful design focus. Is this on the roadmap by chance? If not, might it be one day?

Do you (or anyone else on this forum) have recommendations or alternatives to ReportGorilla. I’ve searched a lot online but can’t find anything.

Thanks so much. —Josip

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @josipmarkus Welcome to the community! If you haven’t already seen the post below, I’d give that a look! It has a walkthrough of creating a report from your Typeform using Google Data Studio, which might be a bit more cost effective for what you’re looking for. 

Would that work for you? :) 

Thank you, @Liz. I’m looking for a 100% automated solution—essentially what ReportGorilla does, but on a subscription baes and with a better design. I appreciate you sharing the Google Data Studio solution. A semi-automated solution isn’t scalable and thus not a fit for my dad, but I’ll keep it in mind for other scenarios that may arise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @josipmarkus Ah, got it! While we don’t have the solution directly within Typeform, your use-case is handy to know for feedback to our product team. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please let me know! :grinning:

I appreciate you, @Liz . Will do, and many thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@josipmarkus - this comes from another user who uses Google Sheets, an add-on called Document Studio and a series of Google Slides/docs to generate customized reports for respondents to my forms

I think i understand your requirements and I also like ReportGuerilla but I have had success in connecting my typeforms to Google Sheets and then bringing the necessary field data into another tab for transformations, graphing, calculations and then merging with an output template using Document Studio. 

Document Studio allows for the merge between the data and output template, creates the pdf and allows you to attach it to a customized email (leveraging the data fields as well) and sending the email and attachment to clients. 

This process puts the emphasis on me to create the report template I want, including the placeholders for graphics, data, etc and to make sure sure that my Google Sheet analysis of data and preparation of graphs/etc. is done - once. Then every time a new response to the survey/assessment is added, if the user has provided an email address, then the customized report is generated and sent out to the user: note it may take up to an hour depending on the timing cycle you establish inside Document Studio and when the data hits the sheet. 

While this may not be as glamourous a solution as you were seeking, once it is set up it runs automatically with every new response. 

just a thought.. 

des

Thanks so much, @john.desborough , for your idea and for taking time to share it. While not as seamless of a solution as what I’m looking for, you propose an interesting approach that is worth exploring. —Josip

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@josipmarkus - here’s a link to a live assessment  i am running at this point in time that will let you walk through an example of a type of data quality self-assessment and send out a customized report. It’s a sample that shows you how the aforementioned work for me. I have more complex graphing and output in other forms but those are a little harder to separate out ‘demo’ walks .. 

give it a shot just to see. if you like. 

des