Question

Results: sync uploaded file with demographic data

• 22 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

I would like to recruit 2500 participants on Prolific. The participant’s task is to answer basic questions, draw a figure, make a photo and upload the figure. I am testing the questionnaire and everything looks fine. The problem is that I cannot find a way to clearly allocate the uploaded file to the responses. 

In the .csv file, there are IDs, like: f9qhfejvipka511hf0f9qhtg71e5sz5p and links to the files, but when I download the files separately, the filenames are not telling me, from which subject they come. 

How do you deal with that?

Best,

Dawid 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ksgfan thanks for stopping by the community! In the CSV file, the link to the file corresponds with the respondent who uploaded it. Though, you are right that the file name doesn’t give any sort of hint as to who the person is (if you’re looking at the files without looking at the CSV). This isn’t something we can change at the moment, but I can share this feedback with our product team. 

Hi Liz

thanks for the answer. I dowloaded the the files from .csv file and saved them with the subject id in the name. Here is the code in R, in case someone needs it:

download_images <- function(url, resultFolder, PID, type){
  filename <- basename(url)
  base <- tools::file_path_sans_ext(filename)
  ext <- tools::file_ext(filename)
  filename <- paste0(PID,"_", type, ".", ext)

download.file(url, file.path(resultFolder, filename), mode = "wb", method = "libcurl")
}

Best,

Dawid

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh! This is fancy, @ksgfan . thanks for sharing this!