Answered

Adding attachment to respondent email

• 31 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone,

Do you guys know whether it is possible to add an attachment to the email respondent will receive?

Thank you in advance,

Sonja

icon

Best answer by James 2 February 2021, 11:37

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fitness.geek.planovi ! Welcome to our corner of the internet. Any particular types of fitness you geek out about? 

Our notification emails are plain-text, so while it isn’t possible to add an attachment there are two workarounds: 

1. Add the file to a service such as Dropbox or Google Drive, and then add that link into the notification email. (Though do note that the URL won’t hyperlink.)
  2. Use Zapier to send the email through your email service provider instead. You can learn more about this workaround here

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

the Document Studio add-in has a ‘workaround’ to be able to add attachments - just has to be a Merge doc (Google docs) into which you can add data from the form submission (or not) and generate a pdf to send to the user as an attachment to the email. (see the Typeform Help document on creating event badges - the add-in is mentioned there)

I am using it in several Typeforms at the moment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough Ooo! That’s definitely a fancy idea! If you’re open to sharing your workflow/setup, that would be a cool post to share with others here. 

@fitness.geek.planovi Here is the article @john.desborough ‘s referencing. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz  - the work around i describe below can be ‘experienced’ at this link 

I am in the process of putting together some training/bootcamp on dealing with identifying and fixing the root causes of poor data quality. The typeform above asks for the respondent to answer basically two questions and then asks for their email address to be kept informed of the training, when available, and i toss in an ‘ethical bribe’ of the summary report of the responses to date, so that they get something that might be of immediate value to them. 

I chose not to create an incrementally update summary report at this time, which i would have done strictly by using backend processing in Google Sheets and created the merge doc in Google Docs for use by the Document Studio add-in. 

What I did was create the summary report and put it into body of the Google Doc merge template - in this case a series of ppt slides of the output report as of mid-jan (I will be doing another update to the report tonight actually for the end of Jan data and updating that doc). This google doc has no merge fields in it, so there is no processing that has to happen on the file content, but the Document Studio add-in processes the file, converts to pdf and attaches it to the email that is created in the add-in to send back to the respondent. That gets the attachment out. 

the other thing i tested out was uploading a file i wanted to share into a google drive folder and setting the permissions to ‘anyone who has the link’ and then embedding the link in the body of the email. This would work better if it was in Box/Dropbox than in Google drive (I am seeing some other posts on the forum about integrations with Dropbox and Zap to be able to make that work and i know that there is a Zap to Box as well) 

This link is to another survey that i will be launching tomorrow/wed on linkedin - it is in final test with several folks today and it uses the same process of typeform to google sheet merge with google doc template and emailed to respondent using the Document Studio add-in. It is generated dynamically for the respondent with some backend processing on the google sheet. The parallel summary report to the one mentioned earlier, will be generated and made available to folks who want to pay for that particular report - available mid Feb. 

I have a paid account at Document Studio to allow for estimated emails etc.. 

hope that helps.. if there is more…. please let me know 

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough you’re really on a roll with creating such cool forms for all sorts of uses! @James might be interesting to take a peek at. :) 

Thanks for sharing!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@fitness.geek.planovi Nice to meet you!

I'm with @john.desborough on using Document Studio as a way of getting attachments out. Here's the link to that Help Center article btw.

Genius use cases Des :bulb: A while back we did similar thing using the Document and Gmail merge in Document Studio to make a tounge-in-cheek "Startup Goal Generator" which respondents receive automatically in the form of a Powerpoint presentation. 

Basically, the person would fill out this typeform: 

Then this would happen behind the scenes to create and send the presentation:

1. Connected to Google Sheets to send answers to this sheet

2. Created this template presentation in Google Slides, with the markers set to pipe in the answers to each field name:

3. Set up the Document Merge in Google Document Studio to create a merged Powerpoint file from the Google Slide:

1.  Added email copy/subject, etc. in the Mail Merge with Gmail section and checked the option to "Include the Merged Document"

...and Robert's your Dad's brother.

One thing that was annoying was that the files don't get sent instantly. Either we had to manually go into Document Studio and "force" the merge - or set it to do it automatically every hour. But then obviously the respondent doesn't get sent it straight away - @john.desborough did you find a workaround for this, or is "instant sending" unlocked in the paid version of GDS?

@fitness.geek.planovi did that help at all? Is this the kind of thing you're looking to do? Let us know if you need more info!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James thanks for extending the potential use case for the Document Studio usage.. appreciate the extent of how to use that use case you described. I think there are lots of ways to leverage the tool to do similar things.. all it takes is stepping back and looking sideways at the process to get a different perspective.. 

as for the delay to sending/instant send - it would be really nice to get the immediate send out of the tool but I have just resorted to saying - “the report will be in your inbox shortly/within an hour - check your inbox for the email from us shortly,… (or in the meantime, would you be interested in the following info..”)

some reports show up in minutes some in just under an hour, all depends on when they arrived in the back end during the ‘once per hour’ cycle

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Cheers @john.desborough Nice idea to just add that note to the form :thumbsup: And yes, you're right, the possibilities of what can be done with Typeform and Document Studio are endless (not literally). Maybe we could even put together a separate thread for sharing/brainstorming use cases. In fact, I wonder if you could run an entire business off Typeform, GSuite and GDS….:thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Cheers @john.desborough Nice idea to just add that note to the form :thumbsup: And yes, you're right, the possibilities of what can be done with Typeform and Document Studio are endless (not literally). Maybe we could even put together a separate thread for sharing/brainstorming use cases. In fact, I wonder if you could run an entire business off Typeform, GSuite and GDS….:thinking:

lol @James - working on it.. 

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’d like to create an assessment.

The first question would have 4 choices, which would put the respondent down 1 of 4 branches.

Each branch has a set of 5 questions. We would tabulate the scores of 5 questions and put them into 1 of 3 categories for their branch.

So there are 12 possible outcomes (4 branches * 3 categories).

For each of the outcomes, I want to see a specific ‘report’ to the respondent.

We are using Marketo for our MAP..

1. Is the scenario I described above easily possible?
  2. Would I have to trigger the report email to come from Marketo or could I do it from Typeform itself?
  3. If I need to use Marketo, is the Typeform-Zapier-Market integration pretty easy to use?

thanks,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @djp55. Welcome to the Typeform Community! :hugging:

I moved your question here so you can check the whole conversation for more context. I hope the workaround works for you! :) Let us know if it makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there,

I’d like to create an assessment.

The first question would have 4 choices, which would put the respondent down 1 of 4 branches.

Each branch has a set of 5 questions. We would tabulate the scores of 5 questions and put them into 1 of 3 categories for their branch.

So there are 12 possible outcomes (4 branches * 3 categories).

For each of the outcomes, I want to see a specific ‘report’ to the respondent.

We are using Marketo for our MAP..

1. Is the scenario I described above easily possible?
  2. Would I have to trigger the report email to come from Marketo or could I do it from Typeform itself?
  3. If I need to use Marketo, is the Typeform-Zapier-Market integration pretty easy to use?

thanks,

David

@djp55 - this is just fellow user checking in to see if you were able to get an answer to your question from the thread above or were still working through the details at your end? 

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Cheers @john.desborough Nice idea to just add that note to the form :thumbsup: And yes, you're right, the possibilities of what can be done with Typeform and Document Studio are endless (not literally). Maybe we could even put together a separate thread for sharing/brainstorming use cases. In fact, I wonder if you could run an entire business off Typeform, GSuite and GDS….:thinking:

@James - just in case a new request for a goals ppt shows up, i finally got around to getting the dali lama telling me it’s about the crazy folks along the way.. and that, sir, is absolutely correct. 

I do think we could put together another thread on how to make all of this work with some of the use cases.. after Meaningful…

Happy weekend!

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

@john.desborough I definitely want to be part of any new threads on this topic!  Thanks for all that you’ve shared so far.  The process of Typeform->Sheets->Document Studio->Slides->PDF->Email is pretty intimidating, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough I definitely want to be part of any new threads on this topic!  Thanks for all that you’ve shared so far.  The process of Typeform->Sheets->Document Studio->Slides->PDF->Email is pretty intimidating, but I’m going to give it a shot.

@BBBu - just break it into the smaller steps and it becomes fairly easy to do/accomplish. Sort of like the proverbial “eating an elephant, one bite at a time” approach lol

keep us posted on progress.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James - just in case a new request for a goals ppt shows up, i finally got around to getting the dali lama telling me it’s about the crazy folks along the way.. and that, sir, is absolutely correct. 

I do think we could put together another thread on how to make all of this work with some of the use cases.. after Meaningful…

Happy weekend!

des

Haha yeah, that guy is normally pretty on the money!

I'm genuinely fascinated by what can be achieved with Typeform and Document Studio and it's awesome that you and @BBBu are, too. I will pencil in a post for this (after your star turn at the Meaningful event @john.desborough ) and we can use it to brainstorm potential use cases/solutions. If there's enough interest we could even turn it into a workshop/live hackathon/Netflix miniseries. 

In the meantime I'll try to drum up some interest from Typeform folks. @Nordin @picsoung have you guys built/seen any cool workflows using Typeform and Google Document Studio by any chance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Happy weekend!

des

I'm genuinely fascinated by what can be achieved with Typeform and Document Studio and it's awesome that you and @BBBu are, too. I will pencil in a post for this (after your star turn at the Meaningful event @john.desborough ) and we can use it to brainstorm potential use cases/solutions. If there's enough interest we could even turn it into a workshop/live hackathon/Netflix miniseries. 

In the meantime I'll try to drum up some interest from Typeform folks. @Nordin @picsoung have you guys built/seen any cool workflows using Typeform and Google Document Studio by any chance?

@James - just as a sample of where i have gone in the Typeform -Sheets - Doc Studio - back to user, here is a copy of the updated report that is generated and send back to the user: incorporates their response selections, industry (included dynamically) and whole-population data for comparison. It’s an improvement over the first iteration which was simply a Google Doc. 

now working on a current state-future state maturity assessment report that will assemble and include recommendations (high-level only) to the recipient. 

my list of potential projects greatly outstrips the time available to do the work ..if only i won the lottery and could ‘typeform’ all day long lol.. 

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

:point_up_tone2::scream:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is so cool!! Can’t wait to see what you all create with it. I’m also upvoting a Netflix miniseries for this but it better have the same high-quality costumes like Queen’s Gambit did. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is so cool!! Can’t wait to see what you all create with it. I’m also upvoting a Netflix miniseries for this but it better have the same high-quality costumes like Queen’s Gambit did. :grinning:

Tux and tails! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy weekend!

des

@James - just as a sample of where i have gone in the Typeform -Sheets - Doc Studio - back to user, here is a copy of the updated report that is generated and send back to the user: incorporates their response selections, industry (included dynamically) and whole-population data for comparison. It’s an improvement over the first iteration which was simply a Google Doc. 

now working on a current state-future state maturity assessment report that will assemble and include recommendations (high-level only) to the recipient. 

my list of potential projects greatly outstrips the time available to do the work ..if only i won the lottery and could ‘typeform’ all day long lol.. 

des

This is incredible @john.desborough Take a bow, sir :bow:  How are you pulling in the global data? Is this done manually or pulled from Typeform somehow? Also, how does the industry data get pulled in dynamically? (feel free to wait until the grand premier to let us know). +1 to the costumes idea @Liz . I'm off to look for a kipper tie and a flared suit on eBay...

Hi everyone :) first of all, thank you for the helpful insights here - they already helped us a lot! Now we want to do something kind of similar, but not exactly like the above and are struggeling on how to implement the logic. Here’s the scenario:

• A user fills in a typeform outcome quiz
  • Based on the respective answers given, the user arrives at one of over 500 possible endings
  • Each of these over 500 endings corresponds to a specific pdf report 
  • Based on the ending we want to prompt an automated email being sent to the user with the pre-written corresponding pdf

So in comparison to the above, the challenge for us is not so much that the details filled in by the user, e.g. name, age or a photo, should be transported to a google sheet, then to document studio and then be sent out again like e.g. an access pass to an event but much rather how each different ending of the outcome quiz triggers a different email & email attachment. 

Now our questions are:

• Can we go the google document studio route with this as well?
  • We tried make.com (formerly integromat) and Zapier, but it is too complicated to connect it to gmail (at least for us :)) 
  • If we cannot go the google document studio route, do you know of any other ways to do this? 

Thank you so much! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@newstandardlabs  - totally do-able in the google sheet/doc studio approach 

you can set it up with a single email template if you want, and use lookups to pull in the specific email body text and a link to the appropriate file - this won’t attach the file to the email but it does put the link into it. If you had all the text for the individual reports in a lookup as well, you could push it all into an output template and have the pdf created on the fly as the email is also done. 

if you are using an email service provider or CRM you should be able to set up a sequence/trigger based on the ending as well - even in something like Convertkit you can set up conditional automations where you route the user based on the ending (tag) and have that path send out a ‘canned email and attachment’ 

just some thoughts.. 

des

Awesome, thank you! In the meantime we are experimenting with the follow up feature. However it seems we cannot change the notifications@typeform.com sender email. Is there a way to customize this to one of our corporate emails? And then also, is there a limit to how many different triggers / follow ups we can issue? Thanks a lot! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@newstandardlabs - nope.. that cannot be changed away from the typeform.com address. You’ll have to move it outside to some other service to get that.

@Liz - I haven’t gone past 25 conditions in a followup -is there an upper limite?

des